Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Ultra Classic 2009 and newer vs. Old frame? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/764516-ultra-classic-2009-and-newer-vs-old-frame.html)

BiggsintheAZ 05-08-2012 11:23 PM

Ultra Classic 2009 and newer vs. Old frame?

Considering adding a touring model to the garage.

Anyone know if the frame change and motor difference, from 88 to 96 ci from say a 2006 to a 2009 and later make much difference?

I can find some low mileage 2006 ultra classics for less than $15k, but most 2009 and later are closer to $19k or more.

Is it worth the difference? Or are dealers discounting enough to may a new one the way to go. I think they are around $22k before taxes and dealer fees? Will they discount $20000?

Feedback welcome?

mkguitar 05-09-2012 12:15 AM

keep looking, I paid 15K for my 09 FLHTC in Sept 2010. ( 6000 miles, premium paint, ABS, security and cruise. 96" 6 speed)

AZ private owner sale so no sales tax. ( which is a 9.5% saving over a dealer sale)

At that time I found a number of 09 Ultras at $18k.

again private sales.
Craigslist in phx pops up a couple of really good candidates each week.

the dealer on hayden is an unknown quantity, the previous owner was pretty good at manditory add-ons and financing deals that shot the cost up 2 or 3 grand. ( cause it's scottsdale, and the buyers there just wanted something shiny to park in the garage)

stubbs can't give a straight answer/straight deal.

chandler and arrowhead are part of a large powersports dealer network, with many dealerships. --- I have had a very good experience with the arrowhead service guys when having warranty work done.

there are no mom and pop dealers

but if you need to finance, a dealership may be your option.

or go to the credit union and see what they offer.

the new frame is worth it and has caused a big dive in value on the earlier models, the available ABS is really worth getting, and the brembo brakes...the 07+ EFI is much better, the 08+ throttle body is larger, the 96" is a nice running motor, good blend of power and economy. the 6 speeds offers pleasant cruising at 70~75 with downshifts for hills

mike

z71_fourwheelin 05-09-2012 12:17 AM

Do a search on here. This topic has be discussed a lot. But Yes, there is a lot of differences from new frame to 6 sp tranny plus numerous outher things.

Cowboy Rob 05-09-2012 12:19 AM

Yes the new frame is worth it,if you can swing the extra $$$.

dswansbiker 05-09-2012 12:29 AM

The new frame is nice, but I wouldn't be scared off from buying a 2008. 08's, have the Brembos, and can have ABS, 6 gallon tank and some other good bits. I checked out a 2008 Ultra for sale locally. It has ABS, 7000 miles and lots of accessories, and could be had for less than 15K. That's allot of bike for the money.

BiggsintheAZ 05-09-2012 12:34 AM

Great info guys. Mike sounds like you found a great deal. I understand most of the comments. Luckily I can buy cash so personal sale is preferred with no taxes or add on fees. And hopefully the owner has done some upgrades too.

I noticed that there aren't many personal sales in this area, not sure why, but I will keep looking. Maybe someone will discount in the middle of July when it is 110+ outside.

mkguitar 05-09-2012 12:58 AM

there are lots- I see 09+ ultras all the time on craigslist.

the key is cash in hand for a great price.

and I'd suggest a stock bike is a better known quantity.

there have been a number of threads here at the forums where the owner has done "performance work"...then the bike didn't run right and they traded it or dumped it on the used market.

I would not have bought my bike if the previous owner had monkeyed with it.

pt 2.

He was in kingman and had it in the cycle trader--- who in their right mind would chase up the kingman from phx or down from vegas.

Luckily I just happened to be going that way--- I was the first interested party he'd had in weeks of running his ad.

If I see a likely ad do you want me to pm you with a link?

mike

frankie_b 05-09-2012 05:55 AM

I don't think the 09 is worth a few grand over and 06 bike. You can get a "frame brace" for a couple hundred if you want to stiffen the frame up. The early 6 speed trans are geared to tall in my opinion, so you only use 5th unless you are running interstate speed. The stock 96" is a dog just like the stock 88". If money is an issue i would look for an 06 bike and i would even consider a carb version.

mkekid 05-09-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by dswansbiker (Post 9775986)
The new frame is nice, but I wouldn't be scared off from buying a 2008. 08's, have the Brembos, and can have ABS, 6 gallon tank and some other good bits. I checked out a 2008 Ultra for sale locally. It has ABS, 7000 miles and lots of accessories, and could be had for less than 15K. That's allot of bike for the money.

Right now, mine just turned 7000 mi. on the odometer also. Runs great and still stock AC/Mufflers etc.

flyingace 05-09-2012 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by frankie_b (Post 9776277)
I don't think the 09 is worth a few grand over and 06 bike. You can get a "frame brace" for a couple hundred if you want to stiffen the frame up. The early 6 speed trans are geared to tall in my opinion, so you only use 5th unless you are running interstate speed. The stock 96" is a dog just like the stock 88". If money is an issue i would look for an 06 bike and i would even consider a carb version.

A frame brace does not equate the new frame. Been there, done that.

07 and 08 are geared too tall. 07 lacks the cush drive in the rear hub. (although it can be added) Been there as well.

09 or newer is a whole different bike. No comparison, and WELL worth the extra money.

And the 96 is nowhere near as big a dog as the 88. Not even close.