Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your road king sound like a sewing machine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:10 AM
J4kicks
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does your speedo tell the truth

I'm not sure if I entered this right but here goes.I was in traffic the other day and I thought I was traveling my usual 5 mph over the limit and I noticed I was being passed and left behind.I don't think my speedo is reading right.If it is reading 5 or 10 over this will add miles not traveled.Anybody else noticed this.Can I fix it?At least I won't get a speeding ticket.I had over 60k on it showing when I traded for it.Maybe it doesn't really have that many.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Knowing now that the sewing machine sound is normal, and ignoring it by means of drowning out sound with, ear plugs, loud music, pipes, etc., will not give comfort to pure enthusiast, especially riders like myself that have OCD that requires the need to be in constant awareness of new noises that may not be heard now due to extreme induced noises, or noise canceling enhancements, resulting in a "possible" catastrophic mechanical problem.

Its like installing an oil pressure gauge to monitor pressure while riding, but choosing to cover over with tape so gauge will not be seen, counter productive if you ask me!

I know this sewing machine sound is a on going problem, that normally will not develop in a catastrophic mechanical failure, but when your riding in the back of your mind, your now thinking it might then introduces doubt, resulting in a stressful ride.

Bottom line: Rockouts, quality lifters, heavier oil, whatever it takes to ensure longevity of your scoot putting you mind at ease, resulting in countless enjoyable rides IMHO.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Last edited by B Bop; 02-09-2017 at 12:51 PM.