Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan "Hex Plug"

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Roguebear
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan "Hex Plug"

I accidentally removed the oil pan "hex plug". I am on pain meds from a recent full knee replacement and I f'ed up. Nothing came out. When I looked it up in my shop manual it just shows it as Hex Plug on oil pan. The manual says do not remove but there are no torq instructions or guidelines if you do remove. I don't want to screw up my pan from my stupid mistake. I high temp loctighted it back in flush with the oil pan. Should I be worried?

Thanks for any advice. Feeling really stupid and pariniod I messed something up with just a damn hex plug.

Rob "Rogue Bear"
Ret. U.S. Army 18E
2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,951 Likes on 21,313 Posts

You should be good to go on the plug.
Just quit working on your bike while on pain meds. lolol..

Been there and done that on the TKR thing too.
They're no fun and take a while to get there.

I was riding at 8-9 weeks.
Take your time.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 AM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry that's where the oil temp sensor goes and good n tight seems to be the torque

Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It's tapered threads so it will be fine to just tighten a little snug.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Retired Commo Sgt on meds and working on an engine. Not the best of combinations... LOL
As long as you didn't gorilla fist it back in you should be good to go.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Roguebear
1st Gear

Thanks guys. Feel better about it now. I read on some thread that you can crack your oil pan which sounds crazy but, I suppose you could if you just kept wrenching on it. I put it in tight and flush with the pan.
Thanks for the advice about not wrenching and being on pain pains I would heed that advice but my knee replacement was almost a year ago now. It is all F'ed up I wish I could be back to normal in 6-8 weeks. I have had severe trama to my knee in which the TKR is not working they even special made the knee just for me. I have another surgery in Jul/Aug and if that doesn't take I lose my leg from knee down. All they can do is keep my comfortable on pain meds and not riding my bike for the last year is not an option. I try to be careful but as you can see in ths thread the meds are turning my brains to mashed potatoes.
Thanks again for the advice and comic relief. @Greg you are probably one of those WO's that would wake me up saying commo is down and the batt. is dead....

Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Not to worry with that plug Sgt, I take that out every time I do my oil changes.....thats where the intake hose to my Scavenger goes.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Roguebear
Thanks guys. Feel better about it now. I read on some thread that you can crack your oil pan which sounds crazy but, I suppose you could if you just kept wrenching on it. I put it in tight and flush with the pan.
Thanks for the advice about not wrenching and being on pain pains I would heed that advice but my knee replacement was almost a year ago now. It is all F'ed up I wish I could be back to normal in 6-8 weeks. I have had severe trama to my knee in which the TKR is not working they even special made the knee just for me. I have another surgery in Jul/Aug and if that doesn't take I lose my leg from knee down. All they can do is keep my comfortable on pain meds and not riding my bike for the last year is not an option. I try to be careful but as you can see in ths thread the meds are turning my brains to mashed potatoes.
Thanks again for the advice and comic relief. @Greg you are probably one of those WO's that would wake me up saying commo is down and the batt. is dead....
Nah, I am one of those smart a$$ warrants that started out in the infantry before moving over to more pay. My brother was an 18E before he went OCS and became an 18A. But I would still wake you up...LOL

And good luck with the knee.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:10 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Your not referring to the transmission drain plug are you?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Roguebear
1st Gear

Fly ace no, I know where that is. This is a hex plug with just an inset for a hex wrench no 5/8 bolt head. It's almost like a threaded freeze plug or something I am told it is where you would hook up an oil temp gauge. Was just nervous because manual said not to remove and had no instructions for replacement. I think the oter answers here put me on the correct path...

@Greg thanks man. Wonder if I knew your brother. Spent most of my time with 7th.

Quick Reply: Oil pan "Hex Plug"