Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   SE Fatshotz vs Supertrapp Fatshots (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/770364-se-fatshotz-vs-supertrapp-fatshots.html)

DeneFXDWG 05-24-2012 11:58 PM

SE Fatshotz vs Supertrapp Fatshots

I just read a quote from Fuel Moto from Aug 2009. It was a short descrip of both muffler systems. Here it is:
It is possible to remove the security bolts on the SE Fatshotz with the right bit and some effort, but note this muffler has a very different core which because it is a EPA compliant design is a compromise for performance, sound and tunability compared to the actual Supertrapp Fat Shots which were designed as a completely tunable muffler.
I just bought a set of SE Fatshotz and they are on the way. Please say that I can tune them as you can the genuine ST versions? I phoned ST the other day and even though I didn't ask them about tuneability I gathered the company said that they are about the same, just different markings for EPA compliant crap. Also, does anybody run them with true duals please and can they be made to be slightly deeper and quieter than stock?

0ldhippie 05-25-2012 01:11 AM

I've got fatshotz and they are tuneable. Came with 10 discs and open cap. I've got 16 discs and closed end caps. '09 stock headers (no CAT) and they are real quiet, but I think I lost some power over the open end caps? I'm gonna try 19 discs and/or go back to open caps? Not sure how different they are from the supertrapp ones but they made a nice power difference over the stock mufflers without adding much noise.

Glockcubed 05-25-2012 06:47 AM

I have the SE Fatshotz, I have just installed V&H Dresser Duals, and the SE Ventilator. The sound is very good now. I have not adjusted the Fatshotz. When I give it some throttle cagers can hear me. I had a neighbor come over and look at my bike, he said that it sounded really good coming up the street. I am very pleased with the sound now.

Steve On 3 05-25-2012 09:20 AM

I had the SE version put on mine along w stage 1 and d/l. Nicemellow soung, mpg up about 4 and really woke the power up. Tech said they were set for 103 touring bikes. I could add more discs if i purchased them but i figure the engineers had more and better equipment than i did to measure torque and hp

davessworks 05-25-2012 09:27 AM

I put the SE Fatshotz on my bike after tuning it for Kromewerks pipes. I lost about 4hp but gained a lot of relief from the noise level - which makes for a more relaxing ride. I've had the tuning disks off just to look and clearly they can be tunes - but I'm happy with them "as is".

Pastor John 05-25-2012 07:06 PM

I seem to recall that SuperTrapp offers a tuning kit specifically for the SE Fatshotz; you might want to check their website....

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/...ic/file-34.jpg

bigdumbnoitall00 05-26-2012 09:40 AM

they do use a different baffle but are both tunable.the se version aren't as loud with the same amount of discs.and the se version have the security screw holding the discs easy enough to replace.

VineRider 05-26-2012 10:12 AM

I have the SE Fatshotz also. I'm not an expert on the tuning discs, but essentially, they are straight through mufflers. I love the sound and I got a "seat of the pants" dyno that feels like it opened mine up a bit. I just have the stage 1 on mine, but am very happy with the Fatshotz. Best sound of any SE muffler in my opinion...(which I know is worth about as much as it cost you :))

Javieret 05-26-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00 (Post 9851984)
they do use a different baffle but are both tunable.the se version aren't as loud with the same amount of discs.and the se version have the security screw holding the discs easy enough to replace.

Hi,

Can you please explain how is that security screw and how can it be replaced?

I'm thinking in buying the SE and that can be a good thing.

Thanks

0ldhippie 05-26-2012 03:56 PM

A allen head with a pin in the middle. All ya need is "Security " allen bit/key. Got mine at ACE. guess ya could dremel the pin out of there too? The security screw is also too short to add discs so ya will need a longer allen screw to do any tuning.

fj1200 05-26-2012 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie (Post 9853110)
A allen head with a pin in the middle. All ya need is "Security " allen bit/key. Got mine at ACE. guess ya could dremel the pin out of there too? The security screw is also too short to add discs so ya will need a longer allen screw to do any tuning.

I got a set of bits and a handle at Home Depot (Husky brand). Supertrapp sells the tool as part of their HD upgrade kit. Supertrapp disks fit the HD exhausts.

DeneFXDWG 05-28-2012 09:57 PM

Running SE Fatshotz

Just a quick update with my opinions to all those who have helped and responed to my OP. To recap I had Jackpots, Rush True Duals, SE 204 cams and a Ness intake. The sound was tinny and far from deep and horrid on the freeway. I spent a lot on this project over the winter and was worried about dropping more into it to get the deep touring friendly sound I thought I'd have. Well I rolled the dice and after 500 miles the SE Fatshotz, (got them over the Monster Ovals), provide just the sound I was after. I somehow think that the power suffered but keep in mind that I'm not comparing a loud racket with power and low noise with a guttless bike. Time to do another phone call to Supertrapp to find out if the discs are different before I order a whole bunch, (like someone else mentioned), and if there is any point in getting a closed end cap if I think it's already quiet enough, (backpressure / torque issues). Nice muffler system.

flattracker60 03-25-2013 11:17 AM

Anyone know if the two pipes (SE fatshotz and Supertrapp Fatshots) are different internally?

Or are they the same?

0ldhippie 03-25-2013 11:24 AM

While they come with different caps and # of discs, Supertrapp says they are the same internally. I have no reason not to believe them?

'05Train 07-06-2013 10:13 PM

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Supertrapp says that their version and the Harley version are identical internally. The difference is the name on the side and the EPA stamp. I got a pair of the S/E versions and bought the tuning kit. I'm at 14 discs and a closed end cap, and the bike runs great and quietly. I may be giving up a little on the top end, but so what? The bike makes great power where I am most of the time, and it's crazy quiet - which is what I want.

These are freaking awesome mufflers.

mkguitar 07-07-2013 03:26 AM

I use an internal closed end cap ( painted black) inside the open cone:

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/o...g/P1030943.jpg

and dummy discs on the left side so the stacks are equal length.

9 discs left, 15 right

2009 , no cat header, 96"

Been using Supertrapps on my Harleys since 1990

mike

'05Train 07-07-2013 09:01 AM

Gotta ask, why would you restrict the flow on the side with less flow? Everything I've read from Supertrapp and elsewhere says to have the disc count the same on either side with a 2:1:2 exhaust.

mkguitar 07-07-2013 10:21 AM

to control exhaust gas velocity.

the left side flows less exhaust than the right

having a wide open muffler would give lower velocity.

high(er velocity) can be used to help scavenging.

I try to get similar velocity from each side.

some mufflers sets are sold with different flow capabilities left and right

mike

'05Train 07-07-2013 11:20 AM

You're never going to get the same velocity or volume from each side given the design of the exhaust. In fact, if you're restricting the flow out of the left muffler, you're further reducing volume, since the exhaust gasses are going to follow the path of least resistance.

With the disc design and the closed endcaps, you've basically eliminated any chance for reversion, and the mufflers are designed to dramatically improve scavenging. Respectfully, I think you're doing the opposite of what you want.

'05Train 07-07-2013 03:56 PM

I wanted to expand on my prior post, and please be assured that I'm not talking down to you, I just want to explain my thought process.....

The new frame uses a 2:1:2 setup. Exhaust gasses will exit the mufflers via the path of least resistance. Right off the bat, on a stock bike, you've got three major bottlenecks; the additional length to the left muffler, the right angle where the crossover goes under the frame, and the crossover itself (which is flattened out). So a stock bike will have less volume of exhaust gasses exiting the left muffler. It would follow that the crimped crossover would increase the velocity a bit, but probably not enough to make it equal between mufflers.

Further restricting the flow of the left muffler creates another bottleneck. While that may also increase velocity, it's going to decrease volume, and at the same time increase both the volume and the velocity of the right muffler.

To make matters worse, IIRC you're running a stock headpipe with the converter removed. So rather than the X-pipe/merge collector that the aftermarket pieces have, you've essentially just got a large plenum with both of the O2 sensors in it, and the exhaust gasses from the cylinders commingling. So when you come off the throttle and vacuum is created, you have the tendency to suck the unburned gasses back into the cylinder(s), not to mention the fact that your two O2 sensors aren't reading the individual cylinders, rather they're getting a composite of the two.

And worst of all, with the additional resistance to flow on the left, you're actually hurting your scavenging by increasing the required pressure for the gasses to pass through.

Even on my bike, with a full-sized crossover, there's going to be greater flow through the right muffler since it's essentially a straight shot.

Velocity seems like a poor choice to make, since volume is more crucial to proper scavenging....Not to mention all the other negative effects of plugging up the left side of the system.

TUCCI 07-07-2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG (Post 9846958)
I just read a quote from Fuel Moto from Aug 2009. It was a short descrip of both muffler systems. Here it is:
It is possible to remove the security bolts on the SE Fatshotz with the right bit and some effort, but note this muffler has a very different core which because it is a EPA compliant design is a compromise for performance, sound and tunability compared to the actual Supertrapp Fat Shots which were designed as a completely tunable muffler.
I just bought a set of SE Fatshotz and they are on the way. Please say that I can tune them as you can the genuine ST versions? I phoned ST the other day and even though I didn't ask them about tuneability I gathered the company said that they are about the same, just different markings for EPA compliant crap. Also, does anybody run them with true duals please and can they be made to be slightly deeper and quieter than stock?

you sure can, thats what I did. Currently running 5 disks on each side, sounds just right for my taste and avearages 41 MPG. Be prepared to use shorter bolts if you remove disks so after you pull the safety bolt take it with you to a harware store.

2>4 07-07-2013 04:42 PM

I really like my SE Fatshotz mufflers. I don't like loud pipes and I think they sound good with the stock head pipe. When I had my Street Glide, I had both a V&H Pro Pipe and Dresser Duals with Twin Slash Rounds. Both of those set ups left my ears ringing.