Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Zumo LCD screen fix (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/771186-zumo-lcd-screen-fix.html)

iclick 06-07-2012 04:41 PM

I have an update, but first a quick summary. I repaired by faulty Zumo digitizer by buying an LCD/digitizer combo, and although the LCD part number was the same the unit wasn't as bright as the original, as was also reported by Wtate. Since digitizers are very cheap, I ordered one to use with my original LCD and the result was positive, but there is more to the story.

After attaching the new digitizer, when I started to re-connect the new setup I noticed that the clip on the small digitizer connector was gone. I found it, but it had fallen off and is far too small to reattach even if were possible to do it. I thought my goose was cooked and the Zumo 450 was destined for the trash can, but I had an idea. I found that as long as it was in place and pressure applied to it, it would work. So, I used a strip of masking tape to hold it in place and positioned a small section of foam rubber that would apply firm pressure when the two case halves were reassembled. Low and behold it works, at least for the time being. How long the foam will retain that pressure is the big question, as once that's gone I suspect the touch-screen function will cease to work.

What's more, I didn't heed my own warning about losing one of the screen screws and one grew legs and ran to whereabouts unbeknownst. Undeterred by all the bad luck, I persevered and disassembled an old, non-functioning hard drive--thinking it might have some small screws holding things together on the inside. Sure enough, there were six screws holding the platter on the hub and they were close enough to the right size to fit in place of the missing screen screw.

The lesson here is to (1) don't lose the screws and (2) be careful with those very delicate clips holding the connectors from the LCD and digitizer to the motherboard. This is a very doable user repair, also the cheapest, and may be your only alternative if you have a GPS that is no longer offered service by Garmin.

murph 06-08-2012 08:22 AM

I did mine and it works great. I tried the LCD/Dig. setup first, but the LCD was cheaply made. They sent me a new Dig screen that I put on my original LCD and it works better. And brighter. I have been running the new set up for months now with no problems... (fingers crossed). It wasn't that hard either. For 20.00, it's better then the 150 garmin wanted.

iclick 06-08-2012 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by murph (Post 9910307)
I did mine and it works great. I tried the LCD/Dig. setup first, but the LCD was cheaply made. They sent me a new Dig screen that I put on my original LCD and it works better. And brighter. I have been running the new set up for months now with no problems... (fingers crossed). It wasn't that hard either. For 20.00, it's better then the 150 garmin wanted.

What was weird was that the replacement LCD had the same part number as the original, but it was noticeably dimmer. For those who would do this repair I would recommend replacing only the digitizer if you're happy with the output of your present LCD. It isn't that big of a deal to separate it from the LCD and replace it with a new one.

If mine stays working after the jury-rig I performed to fix the broken clip, it'll be a miracle. So far so good after a test run today.

kymshu 06-20-2012 08:41 AM

Do you have a link to where you purchased just your digitizer or did you get it from Keepingtouch as well? My Zumo screen has gone and based on your posting, it appears that I need to fix it myself.

iclick 06-20-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by kymshu (Post 9964487)
Do you have a link to where you purchased just your digitizer or did you get it from Keepingtouch as well? My Zumo screen has gone and based on your posting, it appears that I need to fix it myself.

I bought the digitizer on Ebay from mingxing200808 for $13 shipped. It works great, and to my surprise my jury-rigged cable fix is still holding well. There was a point when I thought I would have to toss my ailing Zumo, but today it is working like new.

kymshu 06-20-2012 04:04 PM

Thanks for your work on this. I chickened out and bought the whole screen and digitizer together from ming today so hopefully I can get those little clips to work when it goes back together. I use my Zumo on both of my bikes and have a base mounted to each, so I'm hoping I can get a few more years out of my 550.

kymshu 07-06-2012 09:36 AM

I got my combo screen/digitizer and after a couple of attempts, finally got the ribbons attached and works like new. So I went ahead and updated my maps as well last night, went from 2008 to 2013, so as soon as it cools off a bit, I'll go play with it on the road.

Again, thanks for your posting and saving me some money!

Sefferdog 07-06-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by iclick (Post 9861291)
So far I'm in this for maybe $40, so even though I'm in the learning process I'm still not out much in costs, and since I have a Zumo 450 I don't have much choice since Garmin won't service them anymore anyway.

For the $150 they replace the 450 with a 550. I just did that. Originally I replaced the screen and everything was fine for about a month, then went flaky again. Rather than mess around, I paid the money and got a 550 out of the deal. I am like you, I have gotten so used to using it all the time it is very strange not having it on there!

glide2005 07-06-2012 10:25 AM

Great write up iclick, my 450 took a crap in Jan. this year. Sent it back and Garmin and they sent me a 550. WooHoo so far, works great. Will keep this post and web site in mind though, just in case.

banddirector 07-06-2012 10:34 PM

Screw it - - my 550 started doing the "phantom" screen touches a week ago, and I'm sick of it. But I ain't gonna buy the new $700 Zumo, when I can get virtually the same unit from Costco (just not weatherproof) for $150.

My Zumo only gave me 3 years of use before it crapped out - - I'm tempted to plant it on the asphalt going about 75 mph - - maybe that will solve the digitizer screen ...