Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KonTour Seats

Old 05-30-2012, 04:51 PM
reese
One Of The Regulars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try the Harley Hammock seat

I had PAIN, as in if I did a 500 mile ride I did not want to look at the bike for a week after getting home. I just did Sturgis this year ( 3636 miles in 12 days ). I could not have even tried that trip on any of the previous seats. Some dealerships are letting people "test" seats, see if yours will.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:02 PM
CaCruizin
One Of The Regulars
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone bought a Kontour seat?

My search for a more comfortable seat, one that does not get hot enough to fry an egg in the California sun is not coming up with much.

Would a leather seat be a big enough improvement on a standard HD seat?

They are quoting me the thick end of $1500 to recover the seat and pillion backrest which is twice what I was considering spending with Mean City or C&C and I would like to know if it is worth twice as much.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:31 PM
wmchardy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats

Having been involved in the BMW community for more than fifteen years, I have tried a number of seats from various builders and manufacturers. Having had four BMW's over the years, and not a single one with a comfortable seat, it became a necessity, not just a choice.

I have never tried a Kontour seat, but have read reviews from others who have. Again, it is one of those seats one either loves or hates. The material, I am told, will help to keep you cooler in warm to hot weather, but is not suited to any cool weather riding.

Russel Day Long Seats (RDL) are great, but there is absolutely no way to keep the seat at an acceptable height. By design, they must be much higher.

Mustang Seats are an improvement over the stock seats. I saw one comment in here about the HD Hammock seat. I tried one once, for about thirty miles. It was somewhat more comfortable than stock, but didn't quite motivate me enough to pay what they were asking for it.

I have had Rick Mayer (RMC) out of California (not to be confused with his brother, Bill Mayer, who also builds seats), build me three seats for BMW's. I have always been satisfied with his work. Might be worth the time to look at his website. I will warn you, his turn-around-time can be long, but now that we are approaching the end of summer, things may speed up.

Just a little insight,

Will

Old 10-06-2014, 04:54 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CaCruizin View Post
Has anyone bought a Kontour seat?

My search for a more comfortable seat, one that does not get hot enough to fry an egg in the California sun is not coming up with much.

Would a leather seat be a big enough improvement on a standard HD seat?

They are quoting me the thick end of $1500 to recover the seat and pillion backrest which is twice what I was considering spending with Mean City or C&C and I would like to know if it is worth twice as much.
I had a Kontour seat on a BMW K1200LT. From a comfort standpoint it was a good improvement over stock. From a ventilation standpoint NOTHING will move more air across your **** than the Kontour. I have the circulator pad from Harley on my RG and while it works it's nothing like the Kontour. Because Kontour covers not only the seating surface but the sides of the saddle it moves a lot of air under your backside. The Harley circulator pad doesn't provide a good path for airflow like the Kontour. The only downside is I felt the foam lost a lot of its firmness over the 15k miles I had it. When I first got it I could do back to back 500+ mile days in the summer with no soreness. When I sold the bike I'd be squirming after 200 miles. This was back in 2009 and I weighed around 220 lbs.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:03 PM
CaCruizin
One Of The Regulars

Originally Posted by LA VIC View Post
The only downside is I felt the foam lost a lot of its firmness over the 15k miles I had it. When I first got it I could do back to back 500+ mile days in the summer with no soreness. When I sold the bike I'd be squirming after 200 miles. This was back in 2009 and I weighed around 220 lbs.
Originally Posted by Kontour
Every component of our seats is guaranteed for life for the original owner against defects, wear and tear and UV light exposure
You could have invoked their warranty?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:47 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CaCruizin View Post
You could have invoked their warranty?

Good point I might have been able to make a case. I ended up selling the bike to buy a new Limited. I'm a fairly big guy so if I ever bought another one I'd opt for their fat *** **** option which I didn't do the first go round.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 PM
CaCruizin
One Of The Regulars

About 18 months ago I decided to get my seat recovered because the standard seat was so painful after only about 50 miles and I chose a Kontourseat.

I got a quote, paid the bill and marked it up and posted it off and a couple of weeks later I received it back and I fitted it to the trike and went for a ride.

The look might not be to everybody's taste but I am wanting comfort and this works although as it has memory foam as part of the layers it get more comfortable the more you ride .

The 'air conditioning' works well and is cool to sit on after being in the sun and air flow under the butt area when moving is nice and cooling .

My wife no longer gets a wet back from the original plastic seat back and she is a happy bunny too.

I got the back of the front seat cut in and it acts like a mini back rest.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:35 PM
CaCruizin
One Of The Regulars

KonTour seats are running an offer of discount on seats ordered by the end of the year.