Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shark Nose VS Batwing Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

As indicated by my sig, i am a roadglide owner, previously from Montana, Big Sky country and the land of significant wind. I have had both types of bike, a batwing and a road glide. In fact, i converted my 04 police batwing to a road glide, so my prospective is from that of the same bike converted from a batwing to a road glide and from a 2010 road glide (ridden 19K on the Hoka Hey in 23 days) and a stock out of the box 2012 CVO road glide.

Impressions,

you get wetter in the rain on a road glide than on a batwing. On the batwing you can hide on the road glide you really can't.

Batwing, displays various handling differences due to the fork mounted fairing that the road glide does not. Winner road glide. I have only ridden in one instance where the road glide was pushed around by the wind. Rode in 65 mile an hour wind in New Brunswick / Nova Scotia area where the wind pushed you from lane to lane, but it was pushing almost everything from lane to lane, including larger vehicles.

Slow speed manuevers, no difference, it is the rider and skill.

Speed, Road Glide seems to handle higher speed better than the batwing. Maybe it feels more solid, but could never push the batwing to as high of speed as the road glide. My 04 I converted top speed as batwing, 105, as a road glide 120 and still pulling. Same, motor and internals, tranny and wheels and tires. Same road. Dont know the difference unless it was external factor such as wind.

My thoughts, given all the above, i like the roominess of the road glide and have made my choice. The batwing just seems to cramped vs the road glide.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:06 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,523 Likes on 10,077 Posts

Personally, I feel cramped on a batwing as everything 'feels' too close.

Handling in heavy winds .... I'm perfectly fine with my F'UGLY
Looks ..... don't know and don't care what others think.

If you guys enjoy your batwings as much as I enjoy my sharknose, its all good

Old 05-30-2012, 05:30 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mostly RG riders responding so far. Maybe I just never had any bad experiences on my Batwing bikes. To me, they handle fine. Even in wind and passing semi's etc. My Road Glide also handles fantastic. And I agree, it handles high speed highway riding great. But so did my Ultra. And when I get off my RG and hop on my EG, it does seem like the gages etc. are right in your face. And I can see how some would describe that as "cramped" I guess. But to me it seems fine. And I can reach the radio a lot easier

I ride no matter what the conditions are. I actually like riding in the rain. Call me nuts. And I ride in anything over freezing. So maybe the fact that I don't see an improvement in the overall handling department coupled with the better weather protection of the Batwing makes me a candidate for switching back.

I hear all the anecdotes on this post about people being beaten up while riding their Batwing bikes, but I don't really hear a lot of those riders themselves complaining. I think once you get that centrifugal force of the wheels spinning, the Batwing does just fine. Maybe better. For example, maybe the forks absorb a little of that energy and it is counteracted on by the centrifugal force and therefore, the rider never really feels it. I know when I ride my EG, I don't have to hold the handlebars anymore than I do on my Roadie. Maybe those of you who have had problems should try to loosen your grip and relax a bit and see how you like it?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I bet as long as both fairings are made available, the discussion will go on......I have to say that my RGU just fits me and my riding style. I do agree that I get more rain on me, but then again, we all get wet in the rain. I like the control I have in the wind with the Shark and I also like the distance I have between my face and the controls. A big hint to those who can't reach the radio controls.....LEAN FORWARD!!! I find the front end feels lighter to me and is very easy to maneuver. My opinion is just that, mine. The bike fits me and my needs and is responsive in all conditions that I ride in. So for me the Shark wins. For others it may be the Bat or nothing at all.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:56 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

Speaking of the radio, the service manager at my local dealership told me the just the other day "you have no idea how many RG buyers come in for their first service and ask if there's a remote control they can buy for the radio".

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are....

Old 05-30-2012, 06:05 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How to start a 10 page thread in 1 hour, step 1= say you have a R/G that better then a E/G or visa/ versa, THEN you got a car tire on back and se255s then stand back and watch the sparks fly

Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Pawnbroker you mean they forgot to give you that remote? I have an extra that I will give you

Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Drat
Hey Pawnbroker you mean they forgot to give you that remote? I have an extra that I will give you
WHAT?? Well maybe if y'all had let me "into" the club before, I wouldn't have started this...

Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 PM
dblkick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ridden both, an 04 E-Glide standard & a '10 RG custom. I know that there were frame changes in between these models. The EG was the first touring model I'd ridden, I felt really cramped! Yea I could push the radio buttons but I felt like I was in a phone booth. That being said, I did appreciate the protection from the rain. As far as handling, maybe it was because I came off a Dyna but i felt clumsy with the batwing.
On the RG, I'll state the obvious, less cramped & less rain protection. To me, the RG handles like a much smaller bike. I'm forever scrapping my boards, or kickstand, not sure which.
Like the original poster said, it all comes down to preference. I sacrifice getting wet " when it rains " to being more comfortable riding the RG.

Just my .02....

Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I thnk if Harley came out with a Sharknose TriGlide you woud see a lot of used TriGlides at the dealers...I think the RoadGlide would make for a better trike because you would not be pushing and pulling the fairing....

Quick Reply: Shark Nose VS Batwing Fairing