Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping out the stock air line fitting on shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:16 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Default Swapping out the stock air line fitting on shocks

Anybody ever swap out the leaky stock HD quick disconnect fittings and air lines that connect the air shocks and install a leak proof air line system like on a air compressor or brake lines?
I'm getting tired of mine leaking down and am going to try and upgrade the system. I'm thinking of using hose barbs and push on lines. I can't figure out what to do with the fill valve. I believe that's where most of the leaks occur .
Ideas are appreciated. THANKS,Rick

Old 06-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't had any problems with any of my touring bikes shocks leaking. Find the leak first before blaming the pushlok fittings. They are problem free if connected right. Remove the tubing by pushing in on the outside collar. Check the end of the tubing and cut it off if it's messed up where it's been locking. Make sure it is seated correctly. Lot of people push the tubing in and don't take the time to make sure it's seated. I have this same type system on the Air pillows on my F250 Super Duty. Never leaks down.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:03 AM
zfdtruckman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked with fire apparatus for over 30 years and all of our vehicles use many of the Parker and other brands of push-loc air fittings. They do not leak if installed correctly. Proper squared cut of the air line and full insertion of the line into the fitting is required. Use a solution of water and soap to find where your leak is and redo the fitment. It is possible to have a defective fitting that would require replacement, but rare. Also possible to have a hose leak if it is continually rubbing on something that would thin out and cause a pinhole leak in the line. No better way to run air lines on a vehicle that is continually flexing and moving.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 AM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you or someone else has had the pipe threaded fittings out of the shocks you could be getting leak down there too so be sure and check them with a soap and water mix. If the threads are leaking new pipe sealant may be needed there and be carefull not to over tighten them. Pipe threads are a wedge fit design and can split the female thread.
A little dish soap goes a long way. Apply with a small paint brush without making a lot of surface bubbles on fitting. It will bubble for any very small leak. Check the Schrader valve for leaks also. It may just need to be seated.
Cutting off a quarter inch of the black plastic tube is almost always necessary if they have been assembled for a long time and you disconnect them. The tube will get a permanent indention and should be square cut just past the indention. A razor blade will work well for this and not collapse/deform the tube when cutting. The tube will be easier to seat after cutting.