Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King license plate mounting bracket

Old 06-29-2012, 06:28 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Road King license plate mounting bracket broke off twice

This may seem a little lame, but this happened to me twice... My original mounting bracket for the license plate broke off... two same brackets, two times. The bracket seems to be made of some cheap pot-metal material from what I can tell.

I will admit I did drill two additional holes to be able to mount a chrome Harley license plate frame that wouldn't line up with the original holes in the bracket. But really, I don't see how that would impact the bracket breaking off at the two holes where the bracket bolts on to underneath the rear light. The new holes were nowhere near the bracket to light mounting holes.

So, the first time, one side of the mounting bracket broke off from the left bolt holding the bracket at the hole... just kinda split at the bolt hole. So I had a hanging license plate bracket that I kept attached with wire until I was able to get into HD service and have them replace it. They did, under warranty with the same OEM mounting bracket.

Once again, I drilled the two additional holes needed to attach the same cool chrome license plate frame.

A few months go by... I am cleaning my bike in the garage a few days ago (badly needed it - hadn't cleaned it in a while), and holy cr@p batman, no license plate, frame or bracket at all! But I did see the remnants of the broken-off bracket still held in place by the two bolts under the rear light fixture.

The previous day, I had gone on some roads that were a little bumpy, so I though it may have broken and fallen off around there. I got in my truck, retraced my steps , and found nothing. !@#!@$#!!!

I'm think some little snot-nosed kid now has a very cool looking personalized license plate with a cool Harley Davidson license plate frame with skull bolts hanging on his wall, to show off to his friends.

Then, to make matters worse, I go to the DMV, and find out I can't get the same personalized license plate because I don't have the matching plate (assuming I had a front and rear plate for a "car") - I told them it's a motorcycle - there is only one plate! So they tell me I can't get the same personalized plate for security reasons if I don't have the matching plate... are you friggin kidding me!!!! It was my plate... I could understand if it was someone else's plate that got lost and I wanted that same plate... but no swaying the DMV. After much deliberating, I decided on the same plate, but with a 1 in front of it, as all other variations of it were already taken. Sucks.

So, I went to HD, picked up a much sturdier looking chrome curved license plate mounting bracket, and am now waiting for my new plate , while I ride with a stupid bright red temporary paper permit stuck in my shiny new curved license plate frame.

Has anyone else had this happen with their stock Road King mounting bracket?

Ok, thanks... my rant is over

Last edited by caberto; 06-29-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had the RK signal bar and plate bracket on my EG Classic for three yrs now with no problems.Does yours have the rubber thingy on the back side of the plate bracket?It touches the fender and keeps the bracket from vibrating.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't say for sure, but I think I do remember it having that piece - I think it just barely touched the little round plastic guard on the fender.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Here's how you fix the problem. Relocate it!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

His is already located below the tail light,the same as mine.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 AM
Blue Line
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2013 Road King(FLHR) have the same problem. The good thing is that the group that I was riding with, stopped and walked with me to look for the license plate, and we found it. The bad part is when the bracket broke off it hit the guy's front fender that was riding behind me. Needless to say, I gave him money to replace the tin... HD dealer replaced the broken bracket, and license plate cover for free, but I'm worried if it's going to brake again, and this time it would hurt someone...

Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,240 Likes on 808 Posts

[QUOTE=Keithhu;10007171]Here's how you fix the problem. Relocate it!

So what tail is that off of? I'm too much of a Harley novice to identify it just by looking. I'd like to do something like that to my 04 RK. The stick-up licence plate look is just all wrong on the bike.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I'm surprised they haven't changed to plastic they way they cheap out the bikes these days..

Old 10-02-2013, 10:53 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced the stock turn signals and replaced the license plate bracket with a Kuryakyn curved one. Looks great!!!!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Blue Line
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ragtop
I'm surprised they haven't changed to plastic they way they cheap out the bikes these days..
I wish HD used plastic it might last longer. My 2000 fxstb had plastic licence plate bracket it felt much more durable, also plastic may resist vibration better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road King license plate mounting bracket