Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony Stereo Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 PM
GrayFox042
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sony Stereo Trouble

I installed the Biketronics kit along with a Sony stereo on my '08 SG. I also am using an ARC Audio amp that is fastened on top of the head unit. At first it worked fine. Now the radio only works when the bike is not running. As soon as I start the bike The radio immediately begins to scan - either the radio channels or on the iPod. The volume control goes out, and I cannot get it to stop scanning. I spoke with Biketronics and was advised to check out my handlebar controls, that a wire might be pinched, and that their adapters are not capable of acting erractically (as described above). I've spent hours troubleshooting it, and I even had an indy take a look at it. He believes the vibration is the reason, not any pinched wires. I did not find any and neither did he.

I've searched the forum and (personally) have not found any topics describing similar issues. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same set up in my 08 SG, minus the amp. Works fine.....

I'd start taking out components one at a time to see when the radio stops scanning. Start with the amp, then the biketronics adapter, and so on, until it's just the radio.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,145 Likes on 21,332 Posts

Sounds like a wire is disconnecting, or not being allowed to make contact, especially when you said that it happens when the bike is running?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Rauzer
Road Captain

My Jensen was doing the same thing sometimes. I replaced it with a Sony unit. I'd almost lean towards the vibration. I doubt these aftermarket head units were designed to take the shaking that the bikes do. Over time it has to wear on the unit. Just my .02.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 PM
GrayFox042
Novice

Thanks for the replies. This will take some time to discern. I will re-check the wiring, as advised, and if that fails I will start removing components. I'll post again when (or if) I find a solution.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Gray Fox - I have similar issues as well. I have the marine sony with the biketronics handle bar kit and RF amp. When I put my iphone on the inside I can't go from artist to artist. When I am on an artist, and go to the next song, it always goes up or down by two, skipping every other song. The radio sometimes totally blacks out but still plays then it comes back on after a while. I can't list all the bs crap that happens with my set up. I've called a few times and get the run around. They act like I'm crazy. I'm about to pull the whole setup out and trash it. So friggin pissed by the entire thing and feel like I spent good money but will have to chalk it up to a learning experience.

I'm not sure but may put my Stock Radio back in but still want better sound. Anyone have suggestions on another setup. Guarantee I will investigate better next time.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM
GrayFox042
Novice

Brandss, sorry to hear you're having the same trouble, but also relieved to know that someone else is experiencing the same issues. The common item between our set ups is the Biketronics kit. I have a different Sony radio and am running an Arc amp.

As soon as I have time I will remove the Biketronics parts and see if the radio functions properly (while running).

Thanks for the reply, and I'll post once I do a test run.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be interested to find out your results. I dread going back inside the fairing to deal with this. I have removed, put it back on, removed....you get the point. I think if I go back in I'm going to rip it all out and go back to stock, unless someone gives me a better idea. The one thing I never tried was simply adding my RF amp to the stock radio with the new Polks in the fairing and seeing if it is acceptable to me. I don't need the best just a little more sound and clarity for highway speeds. Good luck with your test.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the biketronics handlebar control module, see if it still does it. I had the Hawg Wired control module and it caused all kinds of weird things to happen. Hawg Wired swore it was not their device, such a thing was not possible, but that was the cause. It is either the wiring, the module or the radio. If you have checked out the wiring and removed the module and it still does it then insist Biketronics replace the radio.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

It is always a pain when stuff doesn't work. Especially electrical stuff because it is hard to track down and usually intermittent. If the control wires and switches check out with a meter, ya are left with either a bad radio or module. Biketronics should really step up on those two. It does suck to go through it all.

Quick Reply: Sony Stereo Trouble