Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline primary oil? anyone using?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:06 PM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Redline primary oil? anyone using?

I just picked up the Redline oil package, 4qt. 20w50, 1 qt. shockproof transmission oil. 1 qt. primary oil, and changed all 3 holes. Question is, the primary oil seems to be VERY thin, compared to the Syn 3 that was in there. Any pros or cons to the Redline primary oil? I cant tell the difference after a short road test, looking for any long term usage feedback. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:24 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used Redline MTL in the primary for about 25,000. No problems.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

The Redline is great stuff ! I used it and liked it. You don't really need/want synthetic in the primary especially if running a built motor (causes clutch slippage). The Redline MTL is probably close to 10w40. I would use it without hesitation again, but I've been running HD formula+ because I have the new compensator and read here that it helps with fretting issues.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

yep been using it for 60K + miles, no problem.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Esuomm1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sure, tons. try a search and see too.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:19 PM
North Star
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just did my fluid changes this weekend as well with the Redline Power Pack in 20W50.

I know what you mean- the primary fluid has a water like consistency. I figure it's that way for a reason- I trust Redline products even though this is the first time I'm using them.

Went for a short ride, and didn't notice any difference over the Bel Ray I had in there before, but I didn't expect to feel any difference.

I noticed you mentioned 1 quart of primary- you know to add an extra 6 oz for a total of 38 oz, right?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Once you switch to Red Line, you won't use anything else!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 PM
ahern25
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I used it. To be honest I didnt notice any difference. However because of the difference I noticed in the trans shock proof decided to give the primary a try. Red Line Shock Proof is the best ever.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 PM
North Star
Road Captain

I haven't gotten many miles since I put the shockproof in the tranny, but so far it shifts the same as the Bel Ray I had in there.

Not that no difference is an issue- both are a big improvement from the stock HD trans fluid, so I have no complaints with either one.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 PM
North Star
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RaceFace
Once you switch to Red Line, you won't use anything else!

Yeah so far, so good. I used to use Amsoil for the engine, but I noticed some consumption and my Indy mechanic said a lot of people noticed that with Amsoil, so I thought I'd try out the Redline for the hell of it since it always gets great reviews. I also like the idea of using all Redline products in all 3 holes, and the Power Pack is a good buy since you get everything in one box plus the funnel for the trans, and a bonus ball cap.

Btw, you can get the Power Pack discounted from M&M cycle parts in Ohio-great people to do business with, btw. Only thing is he couldn't get the extra bottle of primary I needed, so I had to get that elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Redline primary oil? anyone using?