Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Caliper Leaking Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:52 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front Caliper Leaking Fluid

It appears my left front brake caliper is leaking brake fluid. After trailering my bike for about 1000 miles including Arizona in 110 degree weather for several days I discovered my front tire was resting in a puddle of blackish oil and the sides of the tire were wet with fluid. At first I assumed it was fork oil because I've had an issue with that before but can't find any confirmation for that idea. Then I thought it was the steering head grease melting and leaking but I can't find any sign of that either. What I did find was the bottom edge of the caliper sopping wet and the fluid reservoir level appears to be down about half way based on the level I see in the glass.

I've looked for rebuild kits online and on the Harley site and can't find anything for a 2009 Ultra Classic. I can't find new calipers either...well, on the Harley site I found chrome calipers for $850.00. So, I need ideas on what to do. Can these calipers be fixed? What might the problem be....piston seals blown somehow? Would trailering the bike somehow cause this?

Thanks for your ideas.

VR

Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the brakes feel like they still work? The reservoir doesn't hold to much oil so if you had a puddle I would think it would be empty.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 PM
06Cummins
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The web site doesn't show the rebuild kits. I went to the dealer to price them and if I remember right $70 a side. I'd look on the classifieds I seen a set of brembos for $150 also check ebay seen a few there as well

Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer

Originally Posted by AlaskaAviator
Do the brakes feel like they still work? The reservoir doesn't hold to much oil so if you had a puddle I would think it would be empty.
When I rolled the bike backwards down the trailer's ramp I had brakes and again when I rode into the garage the bike stopped normally. The amount of fluid under the tire was, in my humble opinion, consistent with the amount of fluid gone from the reservoir.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:44 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer

Originally Posted by 06Cummins
The web site doesn't show the rebuild kits. I went to the dealer to price them and if I remember right $70 a side. I'd look on the classifieds I seen a set of brembos for $150 also check ebay seen a few there as well
Thanks, that is helpful, I couldn't find Brembos on eBay but I'll keep looking and will ask the Harley dealer too. Thanks again.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Before you go and get a rebuild kit or new calibers, have you checked to see if the banjo bolt on the end of the hose is loose? Might just need tightned a bit, never know.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 AM
HOGNOT
Tourer

Originally Posted by my67pnycar6
Before you go and get a rebuild kit or new calibers, have you checked to see if the banjo bolt on the end of the hose is loose? Might just need tightned a bit, never know.
Yes, it's tight.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

Id clean up the area involved and keep an eye on it,then get a couple 2 or 3 of those seal kits about 15 to 20 $ each,if for no reason just to keep-em around.Could be the bridge bolts.. who knows.its a peice of cake to rebuild the caliper.I use a method thats not in the manuel makes it soo easy.No fighten with the pistons...ect.the kit with the pistons is about 70 ea.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
Id clean up the area involved and keep an eye on it,then get a couple 2 or 3 of those seal kits about 15 to 20 $ each,if for no reason just to keep-em around.Could be the bridge bolts.. who knows.its a peice of cake to rebuild the caliper.I use a method thats not in the manuel makes it soo easy.No fighten with the pistons...ect.the kit with the pistons is about 70 ea.
You raise some interesting subjects. I called the Harley dealer after searching and seeing posts saying my Brembos can't be rebuilt. The local Harley dealer confirmed that and they have no rebuild kits for my OEM calipers. So, I'm very interested in knowing if my calipers can in fact be rebuilt and where I can get the parts.

Also, my service manual doesn't say a word about repair or rebuilding the calipers, it only covers installing brake pads, removing/installing the caliper, brake fluid draining/refilling etc.

So, if you have more clues to throw my way, I'm ready for them......new caliper costs $190.00........

Thanks,

VR

Old 06-19-2013, 03:07 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I copied this out of a prior post on this issue, havent tried this, but here goes nothin'

QTM who makes the motorcycle Brembo brakes now has a seal kit available, pn# 670-1006X for the HD Brembo Caliper. The same kit is used for front and rear, $49.95 ea. Sales contact is Tara Para (tara@qtmi.com)