Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter linkage rattle on Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifter linkage rattle on Ultra

Driving me crazy. Is there a quick fix or do I need to take it back to the dealer? I thought about adjusting the rod a little tight one way or the other . FT

Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well... if your talking about the rear shift lever connection, I had the same thing last year at about 21K. I could not get that connection to tighten up no matter what I did.. Tough one to get to.

I have the ESP so finally took it to the dealer and asked them to fix it. They ended up having to remove the inner to get it right. While there, they found that the inner primary bearing was also going out so they replaced that. Cost me $50.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Change it out to a heim joint one. It will be quiet and will not have any play in it.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Take a look at this thread and do a thorough inspection of the rear shifter:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...he-tranny.html

Old 07-24-2012, 09:39 PM
dwg1956
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a wave washer on the inside of the front shaft noise gone

Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer

Originally Posted by dwg1956
I put a wave washer on the inside of the front shaft noise gone
Good Idea thanks!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 AM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer

A wave washer? Is that the same thing as a lock washer, or???

Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb1975@yahoo.com
A wave washer? Is that the same thing as a lock washer, or???

Wave Washer

Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathertime500
Driving me crazy. Is there a quick fix or do I need to take it back to the dealer? I thought about adjusting the rod a little tight one way or the other . FT
As you can tell from the replies, there are several places in this system prone to rattle. The front shaft to which the toe and heel shift levers are mounted has no built in "HOME" position. It is free to rest in any position allowed by the adjustment of the shift rod length. There is no "tight one way or the other" position. Your machine is too new to have a wear problem on the ball joint shift rod ends but anything is possible. All of the involved levers are on splined shafts and on my machine both the toe and heel shift levers and the lever on the transmission shift shaft were loose. If any or all of those levers are loose, tighten them yourself or have the dealer do it under a warrenty adjustment before the splines get stripped requiring replacement of the effected lever.

I have been told, but have never noticed them myself, that earlier machines had a grease zerk in the mounting for the front shaft (toe/heel shift lever shaft). That is no longer included by the factory and some guys have drilled and tapped a hole in the casting to install the grease fitting which allows periodic greasing without dis-assembly and helps prevent shaft rattle. There are writups for that in several forums.

I just installed the heim joints on my shift rod because of increasing instances of the ball joints separating unexpectedly usually on machines 4 years old or older. They are very nice when the time comes. Adding the heim joints to your present shift rod is about half as expensive as buying a chromy after market shift rod which comes with heim joints.

All of the above suggestions are excellent but to fix your problem on the first try will requiring your determining which part of the overall linkage is actually rattling or just going over it from one end to the other and tighten whatever you find is loose.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
I have been told, but have never noticed them myself, that earlier machines had a grease zerk in the mounting for the front shaft (toe/heel shift lever shaft). That is no longer included by the factory and some guys have drilled and tapped a hole in the casting to install the grease fitting which allows periodic greasing without dis-assembly and helps prevent shaft rattle. There are writups for that in several forums.
Yes,good idea to periodically grease the shaft.

Quick Reply: Shifter linkage rattle on Ultra