Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Trickle charger and battery tender... Same thing? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/79179-trickle-charger-and-battery-tender-same-thing.html)

grooveman 01-17-2007 01:04 PM

Trickle charger and battery tender... Same thing?

I just want to make sure I am using the right type of battery maintainer on my 07 Ultra. I bought a 1.5 amp Schumacher trickle charger with float mode monitoring. I hooked up the pigtail, and plugged it in.
I have been reading about the Battery tenders and was wondering if there is any difference between the two or if what I have will work fine. Also I noticed the pigtail coming off the battery doesn't have a fuse on the positive side.. Should it?
Thanks in advance.

FLHT 01-17-2007 01:25 PM

RE: Trickle charger and battery tender... Same thing?

I am no expert on this but I believe the word float is the key. I put a battery tender on mine and it is a float charger. If I remember right there is no pigtail on it either

Silverearl 01-17-2007 01:26 PM

Yourcharger is the same a battery maintainer.. Just they have called it by a different name. If you read the specifications you will find that they are doing the same thing. As for a fuse it is not nessary unless you are planning to plug it in backwards. The bike has it's own fuses to protect it. So you are fine..

BadAzz Electraglide 01-17-2007 01:28 PM

They are the same thing, float refers to it shutting off at full charge, and charging when the voltage drops.

Big Sled 01-17-2007 01:32 PM

Yeah, as Silverearl says, do read the specs and description of what the device is going to do. It's really nice if they have the indicator lights (like Optimate and some others do) that tell you what is going on... such as when it is desulfating.

It all makes for a happy Bike, less likely to conk on you.:)

ORIGINAL: Silverearl

Yourcharger is the same a battery maintainer.. Just they have called it by a different name. If you read the specifications you will find that they are doing the same thing. As for a fuse it is not nessary unless you are planning to plug it in backwards. The bike has it's own fuses to protect it. So you are fine..

Darryl88 01-17-2007 01:33 PM

If you use a battery tender, which I do they claim you can get up to 8 years out or your battery!! :)

two dogs 01-17-2007 01:36 PM

I have used (Battery Tender) for many years, never had a battery go bad.

Big Sled 01-17-2007 01:37 PM

Excuse the quick hijack please! Darryl, did you get any miles on the new scoot before Canadian winter hit?

ORIGINAL: Darryl88

If you use a battery tender, which I do they claim you can get up to 8 years out or your battery!! :)

soos 01-17-2007 07:31 PM

I have the Schumacher unit and it does a great job. It's an excellent unit. No need to add any fuses. If it was needed it would be there.

gunrunner 01-17-2007 07:39 PM

Tons of them out there these days, long as they turn off when fully charged and then cycle on to maintain the charge they all will do the same job. I have one from harbour frieght that cost a whopping 6.99, it was own my 02 when I bought it and it works like a champ, has quick disconnect and all.