Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Tach not working ........grrrrrrrrr (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/793608-tach-not-working-grrrrrrrrr.html)

ScreamingRK 07-31-2012 06:57 PM

Tach not working ........grrrrrrrrr

OKKKKKKK...........Lately I have been noticing that the tach needle has been jumping around sometimes. Sometimes it went to zero, then came back up to proper rpm. I rode it to work this morning, tach worked fine but on the way home from work I noticed it was reading zero the whole trip. When I turn the ignition on the light in the tach lights up and the needle moves slightly in unison with the speedo needle....BUT it wont go off ZERO...

WTH is up with this?.....Any help would be appreciated because I dont want to take it to dealer who charges 75 bucks an hour labor if it might be something simple I can take care of myself....

BTW, the bike is a 2003 Screamin Eagle Road King.

dawg 07-31-2012 06:59 PM

Could be the speed sensor needs cleaning or replacing.

mkguitar 07-31-2012 06:59 PM

check the wiring from the tach to the ignition coil- check both ends, the wire may be breaking at the crimped terminal

mike

ScreamingRK 07-31-2012 07:06 PM

oh yeah, one thing.....I'M A DUMMY!!!.........

Is there a Motorcycle manual for DUMMIES laying around?...If so, throw it at me.....errrrrrrrrrrrr......where the H**L is the speed sensor and where the H**L is the coil, plus I cant even tell where the wire even comes out of the tach on this road king...omg...sheesh....

dawg 07-31-2012 07:15 PM

First place to start is with a 2003 touring service manual. The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is located on the top of the transmission. The coil is up front just above the engine, below the neck.

Pumba11 07-31-2012 08:04 PM

It's a Road King! Road King drivers don't need no stinking tach!!!

bigdumbnoitall00 07-31-2012 08:23 PM

since its an add on tach i would suspect a loose connection.

ScreamingRK 08-01-2012 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00 (Post 10147276)
since its an add on tach i would suspect a loose connection.

The tach came on the bike and was installed from the factory. It is a 03 ScreaminEagle Road King......

bigheadted 08-01-2012 05:50 PM

The tach would be factory and no need to check the speed sensor as that is for your speedometer. As others suggested check either use the internet to find the wiring diagram or get a manual. Check connections and look for pinched or rubbed tach wires and be sure to check ground as well.It is probably something very simple like a failed crimp or loos connection.The wire should come out the back of the tach andfeed down into the handlebar cover.Justkeep cool and take your time, or as Dirty HArrry hs said " a man has got to know his limitations" and open your wallet wide and take to a reputable dealer or shop. It should be a very easy to diagnose issue.