Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat, oil pressure, stall

Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 PM
johnstonab
Intermediate
Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Default heat, oil pressure, stall

Yesterday on my ride to MD for work I hit the not uncommon back up to cross the river into MD. I noticed the bike was getting hot, then the idle started dropping to about 5k, I glanced at the oil pressure gauge and it looked kinda low for idle. It dropped below the usual 950-1000 RPM a few times over several minutes (no good place to pull over) then it died. I gave it a couple minutes on the side of the road (scary 1.5 ft wide shoulder) and it started right back up. Fortunately the other cars where nice enough to let me cross traffic to a parking lot on the other direction. shut her down for about 10 minutes, started right up. I figured no traffic the other direction, moving at speed would cool it back down faster than sitting in the dark 50 miles from home and my home away from home. Checked the oil when I was somewhere with light to see by and it was right at the add a quart line, put oil in, the pressure seems higher but still a little low I think, not sure. Probably shouldn't have but I rode the bike this morning out to MD for my 3 day stay for work

It is a 06 ultra classic with 53000 miles, what should I be looking for. 2800 miles since oil change. just had a new tire put on and the service guy at HD said I should be thinking about the cam chain tentioners soon.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

when oil gets hot - it gets thinner, so less pressure.

low idle is not good for oiling or cooling- remember that oil is part of the cooling system, being sprayed at the bottoms of the pistons and the cylinder walls & and moving through the heads. the oil removes the heat from these areas.

when caught in traffic, I keep the idle up higher ( with the throttle) so that oiling is better
idle for a twin cam should be about 1000 rpms, minimum.

If you think your oil got cooked, replace it- you can do a full oil change or just dump what is in the pan and replace that quantity- don't worry about that which is in the filter, it'll get mixed with the new "good oil".

Makes that California lane splitting look like a good idea!

make sure your oil is not now overfilled- it might get messy with blow by oil in the air cleaner and can even blow the dipstick out and oil the side of your bike

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-13-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 PM
johnstonab
Intermediate

thanks mike, might just do that to be on the safe side. might get them to check the tentioners while I'm at it.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM
johnstonab
Intermediate

Called the service department at the dealer I got the bike from (not HD, used bikes only, mostly HD) today to ask questions. Very helpful, the bike shuts down a cylinder when hot causing a miss, this is to protect the motor from getting to hot. The mech said everything should be ok. he also said if I have a lot of commuting in heavy traffic it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the oil every 2500 or so miles. I do have a looooong commute (90 mile each way) to work and am just under 3k so I think I will take his advice and change the oil.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,356 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by johnstonab
Called the service department at the dealer I got the bike from (not HD, used bikes only, mostly HD) today to ask questions. Very helpful, the bike shuts down a cylinder when hot causing a miss, this is to protect the motor from getting to hot. The mech said everything should be ok. he also said if I have a lot of commuting in heavy traffic it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the oil every 2500 or so miles. I do have a looooong commute (90 mile each way) to work and am just under 3k so I think I will take his advice and change the oil.
Was EITMS available on 06 bikes?

http://books.google.com/books?id=-kB...0eitms&f=false

Old 08-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't say what oil you are using. Full synthetic oil will give you better protection during hot conditions. During hot weather, i use Redline 20W60.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 AM
johnstonab
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Keithhu
no, that's what I said. this doesn't keep her running on one cylinder. I think it misfires a couple times before shut down. My guess is this is the predecessor to EITMS