Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oil Not Recommended by Factory in Primary

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Ya know...it's real easy to make fun of the idea of putting engine oil into a primary, but I don't think any of you are lubricant experts. There are lots of things out there that take on new/more uses. For example, a majority of 5 SPD MANUAL transmissions in the 80's used ATF. Who thought THAT made sense!?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Been using syn 3 HD oil in the primary and trans since new in my 08 RG. With 61k miles not a hint of a problem. No problems with wheel bearings either; still running the originals. Very entertaining thread though......

Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 AM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cochon
I'm sorry. I don't mean to call you out or be rude, but, what does a reference to automobile automatic transmission fluid have to do with the OP's question? Are you even remotely suggesting that Mobil 1 ATF has any place in a Harley? If so, please explain your thoughts.
It would seem that a lube designed for high temps, clutch packs, gears and chains (automotive automatic trans components), requiring virtually no change interval in service, would work in a primary. Works in mine, the clutch is just fine, and not as sticky in the morning, particularly cold mornings.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DDuess
It would seem that a lube designed for high temps, clutch packs, gears and chains (automotive automatic trans components), requiring virtually no change interval in service, would work in a primary. Works in mine, the clutch is just fine, and not as sticky in the morning, particularly cold mornings.
That's been my experience too. Formula+ seemed to work equally as well on the sticky clutch plates though, just more $$.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,186 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukon42
Been using syn 3 HD oil in the primary and trans since new in my 08 RG. With 61k miles not a hint of a problem. No problems with wheel bearings either; still running the originals. Very entertaining thread though......
and here we have it folks. use the hd syn3 engine oil and your wheel bearings will last longer

Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
That's been my experience too. Formula+ seemed to work equally as well on the sticky clutch plates though, just more $$.
Yes, I've tried just about all oils in the primary including ATF and nothing is as good as Formula+ for me. I don't use Harley oil in the tranny or crankcase, so it's not that I'm a fan of the Harley brand, Formula+ just has the best feel with the clutch for me.

Beary

Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 AM
shrice51
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been using AMSOIL ATF in my '80 FXEF primary for over a dozen years and AMSOIL synthetic ATF in my '03 FLHTCI primary for two years. HB 125 hydraulic chain tensioner in both, and both setups work very well. Smooth solid shifts under heavy loads, no clutch plate slippage, and clear fluid after 3k miles on the newer '03.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Last bottle I read said full synthetic and it surprised me.

I'm putting Redline Primary in next time. I don't see why SYN 3 is a problem though.
I agree DM

Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I asked a couple of months ago (when I did my '11 Limited) they suggested HD +3 in primary and trans, I use Amsoil in the motor.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Interesting. I've never heard of using ATF in the primary but I guess that it's a good day if you can learn something new! I may try it sometime. Thank You.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Not Recommended by Factory in Primary