Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Cruise control quit, any help? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/799267-cruise-control-quit-any-help.html)

Guntoter 08-18-2012 06:30 PM

Cruise control quit, any help?

I have a 2007 FLHT that 4 years ago I had my dealer install a factory cruise control. On the way out to Sturgis a few weeks ago, about 1/3 of the way there, the cruise quit on me. What it did was while the cruise was engaged and I was bumping the speed up a few mph, it went full throttle on its own. I tapped the front brake and it shut off, but would not re-engage. I tried it again later after I had shut off the bike and now it engaged, but after a few minutes it again went full throttle on its own. I tapped the speed down button and the cruise shut off and again would not re-engage (no green light on the cruise indicator.) A bit later, without doing anything, the cruise engaged on its own and again went full throttle. I then turned off the switch on the dash to prevent that happening again. I have not been able to get it to re-engage since.

My brother had pretty much the same thing happen on his 2005 Road Glide after he had cruise put on. They ended up finding a pinched wire in the right controls. I took my right control apart today and did find a solid gray wire that had been partially pinched and had a small cut in the insulation. I sealed the insulation and put it back together but the cruise still does not work. The service manual is useless as there is nothing in it on diagnosis of problems, only replacing parts. I don't think the gray wire goes to the cruise switch, but to the start or on/off switch. I did not disassemble the control to check the wire down at the set/resume switch but the visible wires look OK. I don't even know how to test the switch as there is nothing in the manual giving any direction on how to do that.

Anyone have any ideas? Long shot I know, but thought I would try. I don't have the spare money to let the dealer go exploring and charging me whatever it is they charge an hour.

vzts4q 08-18-2012 07:26 PM

All the really good information for trouble shooting this problem is in the Electrical service manual. Lots of trouble shooting trees to isolate a problem. So if you want to tackle this yourself picking up that manual shoud be the first step.

Guntoter 08-19-2012 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by vzts4q (Post 10220990)
All the really good information for trouble shooting this problem is in the Electrical service manual. Lots of trouble shooting trees to isolate a problem. So if you want to tackle this yourself picking up that manual shoud be the first step.

I did pick up that manual and no, there are no "troubleshooting trees" in the electrical section. Only things there are is how to replace parts, next to nothing on determining problems. In fact there is very little about the cruise control at all, and what there is is spread throughout the manual.

I guess I will try replacing the switch and see where that goes.

TURQ 08-19-2012 09:13 AM

My friend just had failure on an 2004 RKC. Hasn't been diagnosed but my indy says its's almost always a pinched wire. Your results may vary, good luck with your hunt.

vzts4q 08-19-2012 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=Guntoter;10222258]I did pick up that manual and no, there are no "troubleshooting trees" in the electrical section. Only things there are is how to replace parts, next to nothing on determining problems. In fact there is very little about the cruise control at all, and what there is is spread throughout the manual.

Sorry about that I made the assumption that the 07 electrical manual would be as detailed as the 08 one, it has 7 pages dedicated to cruise troubleshooting. Maybe because the 08s have throttle by wire.

Guntoter 08-19-2012 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by TURQ (Post 10222278)
My friend just had failure on an 2004 RKC. Hasn't been diagnosed but my indy says its's almost always a pinched wire. Your results may vary, good luck with your hunt.

Thanks, and that is what I thought too. So far cannot find anything pinched. You would think there would be some way to test the switch, but cannot find anything about that. Probably doesn't help that the bike has to be going a certain speed before the switch does anything anyway.

SIDECAR BOB 08-19-2012 11:21 AM

Did you check both brake light swtiches and wiring to see if the are functioning , if the are stuck on ( been a problem on some later models ) the cruise wont engage. Not sure about the goingt ofull throttle issue but it cheap and free to check the break light.

Guntoter 08-19-2012 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB (Post 10222728)
Did you check both brake light swtiches and wiring to see if the are functioning , if the are stuck on ( been a problem on some later models ) the cruise wont engage. Not sure about the goingt ofull throttle issue but it cheap and free to check the break light.

Yes, thanks, that's the first thing I checked and both are working OK. I checked as much of the wiring as I could from the switches to inside the fairing where it connects to another wire loom. Checked that plug also and find no wires pinched or frayed or broken. I put it all back together in case it was a wire issue and still does not work. Later on I will try replacing the cruise set/resume switch and see if that fixes it. If not, I am definitely stuck.

103 sedona orange 08-20-2012 12:02 AM

Yes,brake light switch.

ADVNTR 08-20-2012 05:32 AM

typically the pinched wire is at the handlebar contols