Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody do the oil pump spring kit for better oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 02:34 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Why not just stretch the stock spring for free.
The springs have a tendancy to not remain stretched. They have a memory, the same thing that keeps them from losing their strength when you compress them. I was told that after some time the stock spring would lose its strength if shimmed, but I never experienced that.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I ordered the ERT kit and will report my findings, I am going to start with the blue spring, it should raise idle pressure to 10 and cruising pressure at 2,000 rpm to about 36, the kit also comes with a special tool so you don't have to remove the cam plate, am going to put it in this weekend.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:55 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

the kit also comes with a special tool so you don't have to remove the cam plate
You don't have to remove the cam plate even w/o that tool. Just be careful removing split pin, use the proper size drift punch and don't lose it in the cam case. Losing it is actually pretty hard to do. They are steel so a magnet works for retrieval.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

my 99 tc88 FLHT had zero oil pressure at hot-idle for 70,000 miles. At 60K, I was considering installing the 95inch kit so one day at the dealer, I asked them to do a leak down test, compression test (so I could easily convince myself that the engine needed to be refreshed) and the tech came back and said "still in factory spec for new - you got one of the good ones".
I always thought when HD put oil pressure gauges on their bikes it was the dumbest thing they did - the EVOs and TC88s, reading 0 at idle would freak people out! I was asked, "what do I do about 0 oil pressure at idle?" i said "put black tape over the gauge, problem solved"

Old 08-29-2012, 03:10 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
my 99 tc88 FLHT had zero oil pressure at hot-idle for 70,000 miles. At 60K, I was considering installing the 95inch kit so one day at the dealer, I asked them to do a leak down test, compression test (so I could easily convince myself that the engine needed to be refreshed) and the tech came back and said "still in factory spec for new - you got one of the good ones".
I always thought when HD put oil pressure gauges on their bikes it was the dumbest thing they did - the EVOs and TC88s, reading 0 at idle would freak people out! I was asked, "what do I do about 0 oil pressure at idle?" i said "put black tape over the gauge, problem solved"
I understand what you are saying, but if I can help it any I will, I don't know about yours and how much noise it makes when it is hot out, but if more oil pressure helps it was woth it, I plan on keep this bike a long time.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I think you may have over done it. Even with the 30% increase spring I have never seen my oil gauge peg out. If it did I would go to the 15% increase spring. I did at first use Zipper's spring shim on the stock spring, but I shaved it to half it's thickness before installing it, it was about 1/8" thick. That seemed be a reasonable increase.
My aftermarket oil gauge stops at 60, and the needle zips over the space beyond that (about 20 more lbs) until hitting the stop on the other side, so I'm guessing at pressures, but worry about blowing a gasket somewhere.

I was thinking of exactly the same thing before winter; shaving the slug down, so thanx for the measurement. I'll wait until I'm not daily riding tho.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

I enjoy reading opinions on these forums. At $12.95 plus delivery why not install it. have you read this http://www.baisley.com/oil_spring_product.htm

Old 08-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

SOMEONE who's run the 15% Bailey or a slug in the winter with a gauge, let us know how that went.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
SOMEONE who's run the 15% Bailey or a slug in the winter with a gauge, let us know how that went.
I'll bite, what are you looking for? I've riden two winters now with the 15% installed in down to 35*. extra time on warmup, then go. no differece warm oil pressure is the same as summer

Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I rund the 15% Baisley in my wife's 08 Fatboy and plan on putting one in my Road King; even if it doesn't actually make a difference or do anything the extra oil pressure makes me feel better.

Quick Reply: Anybody do the oil pump spring kit for better oil pressure?