Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Rear SG Shock Leaking Oil (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/804264-rear-sg-shock-leaking-oil.html)

HDTimFLHX 09-03-2012 08:52 AM

Rear SG Shock Leaking Oil

I took my 2012 SG in for it's 1k service on Saturday. Only reason I had them do it was because it was included with the purchase of the bike. One of the things I had them do also was check out the rear shocks. I noticed a couple days before I took it in that the right one what leaking oil. They told me that the replaced all the seals and that I should be good to go. However, after I got it home I noticed that it's still leaking. Has anyone else had this problem? Since I bought my bike the only way I was able to keep it from bottoming out on my was to keep the psi around 40. I wonder if it could have something to do with that shock having issues. Anyone been through this or have any suggestions?

Iceman24 09-03-2012 08:55 AM

Could be faulty shock causing seal damage as well...take it back & have them replace it under warranty. They tried the cheaper fix 1st, but sounds like that didn't take.

Mendota Kid 09-03-2012 08:59 AM

My left rear air shock started leaking on my 2010 Ultra...took it in and they immediately replaced it under warranty...I agree with Iceman...they went the cheaper less time consuming route instead of doing the job right the 1st time...Take it back and tell them to replace the shock.

karbar99 09-03-2012 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by HDTimFLHX (Post 10285081)
I took my 2012 SG in for it's 1k service on Saturday. Only reason I had them do it was because it was included with the purchase of the bike. One of the things I had them do also was check out the rear shocks. I noticed a couple days before I took it in that the right one what leaking oil. They told me that the replaced all the seals and that I should be good to go. However, after I got it home I noticed that it's still leaking. Has anyone else had this problem? Since I bought my bike the only way I was able to keep it from bottoming out on my was to keep the psi around 40. I wonder if it could have something to do with that shock having issues. Anyone been through this or have any suggestions?

Replaced the seals in a rear shock, talking about blowing smoke!
Your bike is under warranty, they should have replaced the shock with a "NEW" one.

This is what I've always understood:
Harley-Davidson insists that only the shock absorbers on its Softail models may be disassembled. All other Harley shock absorbers must be replaced as an assembly.

1flhtk4me 09-03-2012 09:00 AM

I'm surprised they attempted to repair the shock.

Yes the shock is damaged,should be replaced under warranty.

NECaveman 09-03-2012 10:53 AM

I had the understanding from two HD dealers the rear shocks were not repairable?...

Hayhoss 09-03-2012 06:45 PM

Sure hate to "be the bearer of bad news", but they didn't even touch the shock ! New dealer time, catch me lying once, I'm gone.

HDTimFLHX 09-04-2012 09:33 AM

UPDATE
I just got off the phone with the dealership and they told me that they didn't do anything to the shock itself. Apparently they thought I meant that the shock was leaking air so they replaced all the air line seals. They ordered a new shock and are going to replace it under warranty.