Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's in your took kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts
Default What's in your tool kit?

I'm thinking of taking a road trip soon, and want to carry some essential tools on my road king. I know the Ultras come with a tool kit, that would probably be a good start. What is in that? What else do people carry? I don't have a tour pack so I can't carry all the metric and standard tools in my tool box, just want to identify the most likely to be needed. Thanks, Joe

Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I think essentials would be screwdrivers, pliers, tyraps, electrical tape, and the phone # to Roadside Assistance.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:29 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AAA card, cell phone, credit card.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfman 66
AAA card, cell phone, credit card.
I'll second that and add planning aimed at identifying resources along your route.

Knowledge of your equipment trumps tools in any quantity.

Truth be told, very little can be accomplished by yourself when you're on the open road IMO.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default it still wouldn't hurt to carry the basics

These guys are right to a point, but you could still carry a few basics for something that might happen that you could at least fix to a point to get you to a dealership for real repairs.
We were on a trip this past summer and a guy was complaining about it being hard to shift. We got to looking and the bushing where the heel/toe shifter was wearing out and allowing the slide back and forth and therefore getting in a pinch. we were able to use a few wrenches to take it apart and dab a little oil on the bushing (which helped the matter some). So see, it doesn't hurt to have some tools.
My suggestion would be to look at the tool kits offered by places like Harley or J&P. See what is in their kits and gather those type tools that you think you might need. and then add any specific tools that you have used to install any items that you have added to the bike that may be different.
I care a cresent wrench, 3/8 and 1/4 wratchets, sockets of various sizes, screwdriver, FLASHLIGHT, allen wrenches, and a few torx type sockets.
For anything major, i like what one of the guys above said: phone number to whatever source you have for a tow, a cell phone and a credit card.
\
Originally Posted by Joe12RK
I'm thinking of taking a road trip soon, and want to carry some essential tools on my road king. I know the Ultras come with a tool kit, that would probably be a good start. What is in that? What else do people carry? I don't have a tour pack so I can't carry all the metric and standard tools in my tool box, just want to identify the most likely to be needed. Thanks, Joe

Old 01-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For a long ride, 2+days, I'll cary a pouch of sockets(sae/metric) and ratchet, screw drivers assorted, Pump and Slime, Wire ties, duct tape, electrical tape, 1/4" nylon rope(5') and bungees. Believe it or not, it all fits in the rear 1/3 of one bag. Plenty of room for everything else.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would have a 12volt air compressor and a tire plug kit. Or slime if you have tubes.
I'm not going to be stranded because of a flat tire.
That is, in addition to the factory tool kit. On a recent trip, we had to go buy a socket set and nut to do a repair.Done

Last edited by senna; 01-25-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 461 Likes on 128 Posts

#1 Wind Zone tool kit EE-1HD. Comes in a very small nylon case, and I add to the case... small LED flashlight, small tire plug /CO2 kit, and 2 extra dzus pins for the bags.

#2 HOG Touring Handbook. Has location, phone numbers, business hours, etc etc of every dealer.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't forget the vtwin reference guide, an app for android. A lot of useful info there. security code procedure, dealer locator, trouble codes, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cx.eight&hl=en

Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Black Gator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Agree with the AAA Card, cell phone and credit card.....+ Glock

Quick Reply: What's in your took kit?