Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My One year observation and Review (Very Long) '11 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 PM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My One year observation and Review (Very Long) '11 FLHTK

I purchased my 2011 FLHTK Electra Glide Ultra Limited one year ago. Here is my observation and comments. Please keep in mind that all of this is my OPINION and in no way am I trying to make any claims good or bad.

I bought my FLHTK on a somewhat impulse buy (I was interested and just started to look at Touring bikes a few months prior and was actually interested in the Yamaha Venturer) when I took my nephew in to sign up for a Riders Edge Class for his 21st birthday last September. I was given a decent deal, nothing special but the Baltimore H.D. People were very nice to deal with and very professional in my opinion. So I would say that I had a good experience purchasing my bike new at this location. I was offered a excellent trade in offer on my Yamaha V-Star 1300, but decided to keep it as a second bike (I love to ride it every so often).

When I did my initial test ride I was very concerned about the heat on the right side. My foot and calf felt like they were on fire on that hot humid Baltimore morning. The service manager and parts manager convinced me to add in the parade fan to help with the heat at slow speeds. I pretty much kept the bike stock other than little things that are comfort items and the only item I did add was a set of FL-XiED's to again help cool down that exhaust heat on the right side and a set of footboard extenders to move my foot away from the heat.

As I rode the bike more and more, I noticed how easy the handling is compared to my V-Star. Much smoother and turning was actually easier for a bike that was at least 300 pounds heavier. I rode the bike all year long and logged miles all winter into spring. I took the bike out to Colorado (please see my Colorado Trip posts) and had a blast with my cousin who lives in Littleton, CO, sightseeing and visiting all four National Parks in Colorado. The bike performed flawlessly on our 2300 mile ride in the state. No issues, never loss a beat even at the top of Mt. Evans at 14,100+ feet in elevation, too bad I couldn't say the same about myself!!!!

The heat issue I have learned to not ignore but learned that to minimize the heat is to keep the bike MOVING at a speed to help vent the heat away. I never had an issue of heat on any ride if I am moving. If I know I am going on a type of ride that is stop and go in the warm weather, then I will wear tall leather boots and or leather chaps. The leather will help make the heat a bit more bearable in my opinion. If I am in any type of stop and go traffic, then I am in PAIN. Keep it moving and you will be fine. If it's hot and humid outside then there is going to be a lot of heat regardless, so I just have to live with the heat for now. One advantage of the right side heat is that in the cooler months and in the winter the heat from the engine and on the right side is a lifesaver in my opinion. Along with my heated gear that heat is a nice thing to have. So it's a mixed blessing or maybe a value added option from the MOCO for year round riding. Shh don't tell them, they may start charging for the heat! I also learned that I have very little reason to use 6th gear unless I'm out west riding 80MPH +. For 99% of my riding I never get out of 5th gear. I am not hard on the throttle and I am not a speed or power hungry kind of rider, which is why I like to keep my bikes as close to stock as possible even keeping the exhausts stock. I really don't care for the loud noises that some exhausts have and when I do hear one I like it's not that much better than what I currently have, so I prefer to keep my money in my wallet for now.

Since I commute about 70 miles total a day to and from work, I try to ride to work as much as possible, and all but 2 miles each way is interstate, so I have been getting very consistent 44 MPG since I returned from my Colorado trip in early June. I attribute most of this to riding mostly interstate and the fact that I am pretty easy on the throttle most of the time. I wish I could get 50+ MPG all the time, but mid 40's is fine with me.

I have recently noticed that annoying Pinging sound or marble rattle when hitting the throttle when engine is hot at about 2800 rpm. I think I may need to do something about it such as add a tuner/map in the future, but it isn't bad enough for me to worry about it right now. I really want to see if it reduces or goes away in the winter and then returns as the weather warms up again next spring. I figure that is when I will get serious about some type of mods, if it only is occurring in the heat of summer, I may just let it go for another year. So as the weather starts to cool down we will see if the ping goes away or is reduced. (I need to do more reading on this and see what you other members are doing to solve this issue)

Overall I am very happy with my purchase and have not had any issues so far that requires any work by the dealership outside of the brake switch recall which I had done in December. Since the first fluid change, I have been using RedLine in all the holes and so far everything seems to be fine. Clutch adjustments is the only adjustments I have needed to do.

I really don't have any way to judge my bike against any of the other MOCO bike lines but I can see why regardless of the brand bought, a new off the floor model is a wonderful riding experience and allows the owner to really make the bike his or hers. I sort of feel that I am missing something by not making some engine mods, but I really like the way my ride feels for now, and I have no idea on what I would want to do at this point, which is why I just want to ride it as it is. Who knows, I may get bored with it in a few years and then decide to do something. So far there is just over 10,400 miles on the odometer. I really enjoy the riding comfort and ability to put a lot of miles in the saddle and not be too sore. I attribute this to those comfort items like decently adjusted highway pegs, Back rest and the H-D Heated Hammock Seat. Unfortunately that seat was a miss communication between me and my wife and that was a hefty price for not hearing her correctly (or as she say's I never hear anything she says to me!). Needless to say I like the seat but it was pricey.

I posted several times about the Gear Indicator add-on that H-D sells. The more I ride, then more I use this pricey normally useless item. I still stick with my original posts about I would rather have spent my money on something else, but since I did buy it, I do use it, and quite often too. Nice trinket, but it really should be in the middle of the dash as standard equipment along with the "N" & 6th Gear lights.

But the overall thank you goes to all of the forum members here who post information and questions. Without which, I would have been lost a long time ago. I don't know how we all survived before the internet but all of you fellow forum members out there please accept my humble thank you for being that wall of support, posting, asking questions, and just getting on everyone’s case. I have spent a lot of time laughing my head off at some of the reply’s and really enjoy the humor and fun banter that goes on. Thank you again.

If anyone were to ask me for my opinion on purchasing a new FLHTK I would tell them to find the color you want and buy it. It's not a bike for everyone, but for those looking at a full bagger Touring model (redundant I know!) I think you are getting a decent quality machine in a all around package that is open to customizing any way you want if you desire. Would I make this purchase again? Yep, I sure would do it again. I knew that I was not buying a high performance racing machine. I get that, but as I pass 50 years of age I really don't have that desire (anymore). Call me lame, lazy or whatever, I just enjoy my time on my bikes and I hope all of you enjoy your rides and are safe from all the bad karma out there.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks, it's good to hear something positive from a Harley owner. I ride a RK because I ride solo now. For two up riding I think the FLHTK is the way to go. Glad you are happy with it. Enjoy and ride safe

Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM
alaskanadams
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 limited and went with the vance and hines true duals with twin slash mufflers fuel pak and big sucker cai. Was not after more power, wanted to lose the heat. What I got was a cooler, better preforming m/c, milage stayed about the same, not much louder. I would do the same things to it again. Also added the boom speakers f/r, they are a great improvement......sounds like you like your bike as much as me............later........mark

Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife just got a 2010 Limited. Have to say thats a nice ride.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:35 PM
FLHPete
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Thanks...

...for taking the time to write such a thought out review - well done! I have an 02RK but I like keeping up on the newer year/model offerings too.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 PM
lumper
Road Master

Good post, honest review.
Some people like the short posts but I dont mind a well written little book when it is done this well.
I dont mind that there is no gear indicator, it has never been a problem for me to find neutral or know what gear I am in, but I often do wonder how can you sell a new bike that requires specific break in points and not include a tach ?

I mean how much is a tach that they dont make them standard equipment on a 10k$ plus bike?
That was the only negative observation I made when shopping for my first Harley.
Oh that and a lack of a helmet lock standard on the bike.
When I think about the answer it makes me a little turned off, I mean there are enough aftermarket and Harley add ons available, a helmet lock and tach IMHO should be standard equipment.

Anyway nice review and glad you like your bike and you kept your Yamaha.
I was torn between going with a large metric touring bike with how smooth they are, liquid cooling, price power in comparison, etc.. but just a matter of tradition I decided to go back to Harley but I really can appreciate a good metric bike.

Lump

Last edited by lumper; 09-08-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Rented an Ultra Limited in Vegas last fall.......absolutely loved it. It will probably be my next bike

Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 AM
93flhtcu
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice write up. I too have 2011 flhtk and have been very pleased with this bike. I traded a 2009 ultra and even though they are the same frame ,this one is better overall . Thanks

Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 93flhtcu
Very nice write up. I too have 2011 flhtk and have been very pleased with this bike. I traded a 2009 ultra and even though they are the same frame ,this one is better overall . Thanks
Traded my 09 ultra for a 12 limited and like it better even though they are supposedly the same. I say on the 09. I sit in and s party of the 12. I think I am going yup have yup get rid of the cat simply for the heat issues. I could not be happier with my 12 FLHTK

Old 09-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Merri1
Cruiser

Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down for the benefit of other forum members.
I bought a 2012 FLHTK and traded a '08 FLSTC. It was quite an improvement in riding comfort. As you stated, the heat on the right side is bothersome, but for me, only in stop and go traffic; hot but bearable. I thought the increase in weight would be more noticeable, but it is less so because of the handling of the Limited. Also, like you, I'd do it again if I had to do it over again.
Anyone contemplating moving up to a touring bike, you should seriously consider the Limited. It's a great bike.
Good writeup and worth reading for anyone interested in a tourer.

Quick Reply: My One year observation and Review (Very Long) '11 FLHTK