Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Broken breather bolt in throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 PM
tjcaron
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default HELP! Broken breather bolt in throttle body

I was putting on my new AC today and following the instructions that came with it went to torque the breather bolts to 85 in lbs. Started to turn the torque wrench and one of the breather bolts snapped. The remainder of the bolt is now stuck in the throttle body.

Before you ask, yes, I was using INCH LBS and not foot lbs. I went to Lowes and got an extraction bit but it just won't go into the grade 8 bolt. I'm trying not to gouge up the face of the throttle body and also don't want to break it since they aren't exactly cheap.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I think your talking about the air cleaner back plate screws that bolt to the throttle body and not the breather bolts that bolt to the heads right?

Either way get a "good bit" and drill yourself a deeper pilot hole and tap that easy out into it and turn her out. Loosen the other two bolts Incase they are contributing to it being stuck in there.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 PM
tjcaron
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
I think your talking about the air cleaner back plate screws that bolt to the throttle body and not the breather bolts that bolt to the heads right?

Either way get a "good bit" and drill yourself a deeper pilot hole and tap that easy out into it and turn her out. Loosen the other two bolts Incase they are contributing to it being stuck in there.
Yeah sorry for the confusion...it's the stanchions that bolt the AC to the throttle body. The other two are already gone. Here's what it looks like.

Hope FM sends me the right piece...I told him I was torquing the stanchions and he referred to them as breather bolts...chit.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks like you already tried vise grips on the end. Dremel a slot across it and back it out with a screw driver, unless you cross threaded it. In that case drill it out and re tap. Not the end of the world.

Last edited by FDHOG; 09-10-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Ok....go get a good punch and put yourself a good " punch" dent by giving the punch located in the center of this bolt a good wack (one or two) with a hammer to give your bit (your new sharp metal bit) a good starting point s o the drill bit doesn't wander when you start drilling.

Bring one of the screws to a local sears or pep boys and buy the appropriate bit and easy out.

Drill the hole for the easy out deep enough so the easy out has something to bite into.

Gently tap the easy out into the hole and then use the easy out handle to unscrew this screw.

As you unscrew the easy out will tighten itself more and more in the hole. The screw will then start to unscrew. Good luck. Take your time.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Grade 8 are tough, not hard. Your drill bit is dull. However you need to remove throttle body, clamp it and use a bench drill press with a center drill and then the drill. 8 ft lbs should not have broken this bolt. I cannot tell how much is out but slitting it with a dremel carbide saw and then using a slot drive bit in a socket is an option. Put a little heat on it with a miniature butane torch once it's slotted. My experience with an extractor on small stuff is it tends to tighten the screw in the hole when you drive it in. Or so small it breaks off. The bolt actually should be loose now that your have cover off since it's only a stud now. Sure the bolt was not to long for what you changed to and bottomed?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-10-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

butane in the throttle body not such a good idea, there is gas in there.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Originally Posted by Hrlyrider
butane in the throttle body not such a good idea, there is gas in there.
Lol.....the rip said to remove the TB. I know it was a long day.....I hear ya.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

That throttle body can easily get hacked up if your drill is off center,etc-.

Being a machinist,I would suggest having a machine shop remove the bolt.It can easily be done done a mill.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You could also take the TB to a good welder and have him weld a smaller bolt to what's left. Then turn it out.

Quick Reply: HELP! Broken breather bolt in throttle body