Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arlan Ness Big Sucker Update

Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Default Arlan Ness Big Sucker Update

Just ordered, received, and installed an Arlan Ness Big Sucker Stage One Chrome Plate along with their "Million Mile" Air Filter. Install was easy and pretty straight forward. Air filter looks like a K/N Filter, and probably is with "Arlan Ness" stamped on it. Ordered from Eastern Performance, a forum sponsor, great deal along with fast free shipping. Eastern said the filter would be "Pre Oiled", but I sprayed a little more on there and let it soak then wiped down prior to install. Stock Football Cover went back on over it. Already had the HD SE Stage One on the '11 RKC since new, but wanted to go to the K/N Filter - why not add a little chrome while I'm at it?
What I found of interest was a small difference with the A/N Chrome backing plate compared to the HD backing plate: The instructions noted an improvement on the NEWER model A/N backing plate - 2 small "Ribs" to channel oil from the blow by vent passages to the throttle body opening to direct oil droplets to go in the throttle bore instead of running down the plate, onto the filter, then to the bottom inside of the A/C Cover, then dripping down on the motor/ tranny case cover.
I have never over filled my oil, and tend to keep the dipstick level near the middle of the check zone like others to prevent the oil drips, and it is not very often that it has dripped. Still, from time to time I would run my finger (or rag) under the cover and if any accumulated, I would wipe it off and clean my air filter at my next convenience. With the air filter removed, I could see where the oil ran straight down from the vent holes toward the bottom.
Kudos to Arlan Ness for this design improvement, I see no reason why the new design will not stop the issue. I know some folks vent this to below their bikes to reduce the problem; hey, what ever works for you.
Sad that the MoCo did not address this from the start, especially when their design allows blow by oil to run right down on their own filters, and the SE Filters are stamped with "DO NOT OIL".
Just a small observation to pass on to you guys...

Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=TheGrandPoohBah;13160452]Just ordered, received, and installed an Arlan Ness Big Sucker Stage One Chrome Plate along with their "Million Mile" Air Filter. Install was easy and pretty straight forward. Air filter looks like a K/N Filter, and probably is with "Arlan Ness" stamped on it. Ordered from Eastern Performance, a forum sponsor, great deal along with fast free shipping. Eastern said the filter would be "Pre Oiled", but I sprayed a little more on there and let it soak then wiped down prior to install. Stock Football Cover went back on over it. Already had the HD SE Stage One on the '11 RKC since new, but wanted to go to the K/N Filter - why not add a little chrome while I'm at it?
What I found of interest was a small difference with the A/N Chrome backing plate compared to the HD backing plate: The instructions noted an improvement on the NEWER model A/N backing plate - 2 small "Ribs" to channel oil from the blow by vent passages to the throttle body opening to direct oil droplets to go in the throttle bore instead of running down the plate, onto the filter, then to the bottom inside of the A/C Cover, then dripping down on the motor/ tranny case cover.
I have never over filled my oil, and tend to keep the dipstick level near the middle of the check zone like others to prevent the oil drips, and it is not very often that it has dripped. Still, from time to time I would run my finger (or rag) under the cover and if any accumulated, I would wipe it off and clean my air filter at my next convenience. With the air filter removed, I could see where the oil ran straight down from the vent holes toward the bottom.
Kudos to Arlan Ness for this design improvement, I see no reason why the new design will not stop the issue. I know some folks vent this to below their bikes to reduce the problem; hey, what ever works for you.
Sad that the MoCo did not address this from the start, especially when their design allows blow by oil to run right down on their own filters, and the SE Filters are stamped with "DO NOT OIL".
Just a small observation to pass on to you guys...[/QUOTE

If your bike has blow by, those stamped ridges are about useless. You are still going to have oil running down the backing plate and into the filter. Been there, done it.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

[/QUOTE

If your bike has blow by, those stamped ridges are about useless. You are still going to have oil running down the backing plate and into the filter. Been there, done it.[/QUOTE]
As little as my bike puts out there, this might be a fix. Anything is better than nothing. As mentioned, for HD to accept oil dripping on their "Do not oil" filter makes no sense, like their procedure for adjusting passing lamps, among other funky things I keep finding!