Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Question for you audio guru's.... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/807073-question-for-you-audio-gurus.html)

bdjhog 09-12-2012 02:20 AM

Question for you audio guru's....

I recently bought a Hogtunes 24.2 amp and 4 hogtunes speakers from another member. The speakers are rated at 5.75 Ohms and the amp is stable down to 2 Ohms. I have the two pair running in parallel to the upper fairing and lowers. With this set up each speaker is running at 2.875 Ohms [Zt = (Za x Zb) / (Za + Zb)] and therefore the amp is not functioning at full potential. I have a pair of 5.25" speakers from an old car audo set up where the impedence is 3 Ohms. My question is can I mix speakers of different impedence in parallel so long as I don't drop below the amp rating of 2 Ohms? Running one pair of the 5.75 Ohm speakers with the 3 Ohm speakers will give a resistence of 1.971 Ohms which I figure is close enough to the amp rating of 2 Ohms. I just don't know whether each speaker will get the same power or if the 3 Ohm speakers will get a higher output than the 5.75 Ohm speakers. Thanks.

jjnoble 09-12-2012 06:14 AM

Kind of late to ask questions. You already have everything, just hook it up and see if you like the sound. If you do then keep it, if not then change it. I think it is a good idea to keep all the ohms the same. The ohms are not going to change the output of the channel, if you have one channel that has to push through higher ohms than another channel there will be a chance of blowing the speakers of the lesser ohm channel. Just something to consider.

bdjhog 09-12-2012 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by jjnoble (Post 10322168)
Kind of late to ask questions. You already have everything, just hook it up and see if you like the sound. If you do then keep it, if not then change it. I think it is a good idea to keep all the ohms the same. The ohms are not going to change the output of the channel, if you have one channel that has to push through higher ohms than another channel there will be a chance of blowing the speakers of the lesser ohm channel. Just something to consider.

My point of asking questions first is so that I don't just "hook it up" only find out that it was an ill conceived idea and I end up blowing the amp and/or the speakers. The Ohms of the speakers directly affects the output of the amp. In any event each channel would be seeing the same resistance as I would have one 5.75 Ohm speaker and one 3 Ohm speaker running in parallel on each channel.

Hammy 09-12-2012 11:02 AM

If the resistance is too high you'll blow the amp.

ohm MY!

0ldhippie 09-12-2012 11:23 AM

Just because the amp is stable down to 2 ohms don't mean ya ought to run it there. I wouldn't go under 2ohms at all. And yes, the 5.75ohm speakers will pull more watts than the 3ohm ones.

davidlaclair 03-19-2015 07:12 PM

Does anyone know what is a good bluetooth, that can be wired into a stock hardon karmin radio.

kojak 03-20-2015 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by bdjhog (Post 10321989)
I recently bought a Hogtunes 24.2 amp and 4 hogtunes speakers from another member. The speakers are rated at 5.75 Ohms and the amp is stable down to 2 Ohms. I have the two pair running in parallel to the upper fairing and lowers. With this set up each speaker is running at 2.875 Ohms [Zt = (Za x Zb) / (Za + Zb)] and therefore the amp is not functioning at full potential. I have a pair of 5.25" speakers from an old car audo set up where the impedence is 3 Ohms. My question is can I mix speakers of different impedence in parallel so long as I don't drop below the amp rating of 2 Ohms? Running one pair of the 5.75 Ohm speakers with the 3 Ohm speakers will give a resistence of 1.971 Ohms which I figure is close enough to the amp rating of 2 Ohms. I just don't know whether each speaker will get the same power or if the 3 Ohm speakers will get a higher output than the 5.75 Ohm speakers. Thanks.

Isn't the hogtunes amp's internal impedance 2 ohms and its a 2 channel amp? If you hook the speakers in parallel, you essentially are doubling your amp to 4 ohms impedance going into 5.75 ohm speakers. Or going into 3 ohm speakers if you hook them up the same way. IMO its not ideal to do that either way. If you had a amp with say a 4 ohm impedance and hooked it to a pair of 8 ohm speakers in parallel, then the setup would work. Try it and see how it sounds, I guess.

SBates08 03-20-2015 11:04 AM

Why not post this question in the audio section. I'm certain you'll find the answers your looking for.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Copyless 03-20-2015 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by bdjhog (Post 10321989)

You can do exactly what you are speaking of, and you also are correct in that every speaker will only use the amount of power it had the load for, so if you put out 50w to that section then some speakers would use 20w while the others used 30w of the power, I have not looked at the speakers you used or done any math, so I did not give you numbers that correlate to anything you described, but I glanced over you post and know this is what you wanted to know.

Not something normally done though, because the amp will only produce a certain amount of power and on a bike the amp usually is not large enough to put out the amount of power to connect several speakers to. In auto applications, sometimes it is done with very large amp that produce a few thousand watts.

FlamedFXR 03-20-2015 03:56 PM

Old thread....new question....