Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bus Er

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 AM
SharkBit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bus Er

Well I was coming back from having the bike looked at at the dealership because I had the ipod interface put on the bike and on way home the radio died. So I took it in to have them see what happened and it appears that in the process of the new guy washing the bike he got water in the input jack and well fried my radio... The dealership didnt have a radio in stock to replace it with but said that they would have one in for me in a couple days. So on my way home running down the interstate the digital part of the gauges go to Bus Er all other gauges stop working lights go out. Bike didnt stop running but I pulled over on side of road and turned it off. I waited about 1 minute to crank it back up. It cranked up fine and Bus Er went out. Any ideas? Think something else was jacked up in process of radio going out?

Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a good link to keep on file
http://gwiz.co/harley/codes.php

buss error... a problem communicating between the speedo and the ECM.

Sounds like they washed your bike with a fire hose.

If Harley Davidson speedometer reads 'BUS Er' with the ignition key switch turned ON (engine stop switch at RUN with the engine off), check serial data line for an open or short to ground between diagnostic link [91A] terminal 3 and ICM connector terminal 12. Check for an open diagnostic test terminal between diagnostic link connector terminal 3 and ICM. With ignition key switch turned ON, transmit data should be typically 0.6-0.8 volts. The range of acceptable operation of the serial data line is 0-7.0 volts. For a quick check of speedometer function, a 'wow' test can be performed. Press and hold odometer reset switch then turn ignition switch ON. Release reset switch. Background lighting should illuminate, gauge needles should sweep their full range of motion, and check engine, battery and security indicator lamps should illuminate. The security lamp may illuminate even if the vehicle is not equipped with a security system. If instrument module fails 'wow' test, check for battery, ground, ignition and accessory wiring to speedometer.

Last edited by 2kids3pets; 09-23-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 AM
claytucc3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SharkBit
Well I was coming back from having the bike looked at at the dealership because I had the ipod interface put on the bike and on way home the radio died. So I took it in to have them see what happened and it appears that in the process of the new guy washing the bike he got water in the input jack and well fried my radio... The dealership didnt have a radio in stock to replace it with but said that they would have one in for me in a couple days. So on my way home running down the interstate the digital part of the gauges go to Bus Er all other gauges stop working lights go out. Bike didnt stop running but I pulled over on side of road and turned it off. I waited about 1 minute to crank it back up. It cranked up fine and Bus Er went out. Any ideas? Think something else was jacked up in process of radio going out?
What ended up being the issue? My bike isn't running after the iPod interface install now and I am getting the BUS ER code too.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-04-2013, 03:47 PM
musikal51
6th Gear

Thanks 2kids3pets, Im building a ground up bike, and the only thing stopping me from registering it is the speedo not working and bus error, I hope your info will help me tomorrow when I look at it again

Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 PM
ATR
Advanced

Had the same problem driving across route 80 in PA in a heavy rain storm on my way to the HD museum last year. Bike did not die but when I pulled it off the highway and shut it down, it would not restart. We had to pull the connector off of the back of the radio to unload it from the bus. Bike ran fine after that. Radio had moisture in it as I could see it in the LCD the next day. Everything else was fine and after a new radio no further problems.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkBit
I had the same thing happen when caught in 8hours of downpour on the highway. Let it sit overnight and have Ben fine ever since. This happened last year on the way back from pigeon forge, tn.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:18 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Really ?? Get the radio wet and the bike will not run ?? Who designed the electrical on these things, a service department manager ??

Old 08-04-2015, 01:49 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Tagging this.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:06 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the reasons I don't have a radio.....more **** to go wrong!! The other reason is I like the sound of my pipes and the wind! LOL!

Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

That's pretty messed up. Especially if you tour and get stuck in rain for a few hours at a clip. So you boys have to take off your fairing and remove the radio harness from the radio????

I'd drive straight to Milwaukee and smack someone.

Quick Reply: Bus Er