Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axel Keeps loosing

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 AM
3itodd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axel Keeps loosing

Hello, I have a 07 street glide and I recently Changed the tire and I got it all put back together andf the rear axel keeps coming loose and the belt gets to much slack in it how do I correct this problem? Its happend about 3 times and i just loosen the nut and tighten it back up on the adjusting the axel spacers.. thanks!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 256 Posts

Hmmm.

The big axle nut is getting loose, or the adjuster nut?

I would think that if the axle is moving forward allowing the belt to loosen, that the axle nut is not tight enough.

So; you snug the axle nut, adjust the belt tension, then tighten the axle nut to the recommended 60-65 FTLBS of torque?

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdtorquevalues.htm

Last edited by jamesw; 09-25-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added link to torque values
Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Without seeing it first guess is insufficient torque, maybe the threads are stretched and it wont hold a torque. Check the alignment piece, maybe the ob-longed hole is worn and its making the wheel walk inward, also check the pulley and spacers.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Torque for the rear axel cone nut is 95-105 ft lbs.

There are multiple reported issues with the 07 axel threads deforming due to soft metal. If the torque is within specs & its still loosening, I would definately check the threads of the axel & cone nut.

I replaced my rear axel & nut at 25k miles due to the axel threads almost stripping off under correct torque.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

If you didn't have the problem before you did the rear tire I'd suspect one of two things ... either your reassembly and tightening procedures are incorrect or as "Fast Aire" has suggested there is a problem with the axle and/or axle nut.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....SK-AND-SPOCKET

Old 09-25-2012, 12:11 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Did you use the proper torque (95-105 FT lbs sounds right from what I remember)? Did you use anti-sieze on the axle? Are the mating surfaces clean?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

put some blue locktite on threaded surfaces.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:44 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Aire
Torque for the rear axel cone nut is 95-105 ft lbs.

There are multiple reported issues with the 07 axel threads deforming due to soft metal. If the torque is within specs & its still loosening, I would definately check the threads of the axel & cone nut.

I replaced my rear axel & nut at 25k miles due to the axel threads almost stripping off under correct torque.

Wow, that's quite a difference in values than mine uses, though I forget I have the Timken bearing set up.

Is the change in torque vales based on the bigger axle and sealed bearings?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure why the increase over previous years, maybe its the bigger axel or ... ?

Serv Man page 2-20, #12

Old 09-25-2012, 02:19 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Same thing happened to my 07 CVO Ultra. Question: Does your bike have the IDS retrofit? I had the IDS installed on mine when Harley first started selling them as a retrofit part for the 07s (08s and later had them stock). When I had a rear tire replaced, the tech didn't put the spacer that came with the kit back on and after time, the rubbing damaged the axle threads. End result was I had to have a new axle installed. Since the same dealership installed the rear tire that caused the problem, they were straight up enough to not charge me for replacing the axle. If you have the IDS on your bike and have had the rear tire replaced since the IDS was installed, I'm willing to bet your situation is the same as mine.

Quick Reply: Rear Axel Keeps loosing