Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arc Audio Amp install w/Radio Sound head unit (2004 Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM
socal_cycle
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arc Audio Amp install w/Radio Sound head unit (2004 Electra Glide

I decided to do a mild stereo upgrade on my 2004 Electra Glide Classic (FLHTCI), including upgading the factory fairing speakers and adding an amp.

As many of you may know, most Amp manufacturs don't claim compatibility with 2004 and older bikes, which is due to the change in the Stereo Head unit itself, which in turn changed the amount of space available for an under-fairing amp install.

Harley moved to the Harmon Kardon head unit which has an external CB setup, versus the Radio Sound, Inc unit which is larger (taller) in order to include space for the CB unit inside. According to what I learned, Harley cut over in 2004 officially, but still put Radio Sound head units in as late as 2005 and also shipped them as replacement units for another few years. (HK's show the name when you power on/Radio Sound is on the label on back)

I made some slight modifications to mine and got it to work, hopefully this helps some of you with similar problem:

I looked at Hogtune's, J&M, and others, but decided to go with more common 6.5" Marine grade audio speakers along with adapter rings... mostly because they are more reasonably priced. Here is what I went with:

Amp: Arc Audio - P/N: 125.2
Speakers: Polk Audio DB651, 6.5" Marine Grade (200watt Peak/100watt RMS)
Adapter Rings: Cycle Sounds

Adapter Rings:
These installed as normal, remove the factory speakers and insall per instructions.

Speakers:
As another user mentioned, these adapter rings did not align to the speaker mounting holes. I am not sure if this is specifc to the Cycle Sounds rings, or if it was a variance in speaker design (maybe because I used a common Marine Grade speaker vs. a Motorcycle specifc, Hogtunes or other). I drilled new holes, and used the metal install clips to help ensure they did not pull out. I ran them with the facory speaker grille for a factory look, and did not use the Polk speaker grilles.

Amp:
This where it got a little tough. The Arc Audio unit is VERY nice (as you know... they make J&M). It sets up perfectly right on top of the unit, however with the extra height of the Radio Sound Head unit it hits the outer fairing, and leaves about a 1" gap at the windshild.

It can not slide back any further because it impacts the back of the gauge cluster.

To solution, I did the following:

1) Notched the Gauge Brackets:

It is necessary to notch the lower half, however as you can see I did a little more as I believed securing the bracket from one side would be suffient. If I do again (and I may change them out at some point), I will only notch just below the mounting hole. The amp is tight, but with a little love will slide right under.

Again, recommend removing the gauge bracket bottom half only... just below the mounting holes on either side as done on the right side (Sharpie pointing at it), versus the left side which was cut flat.

2) Notched the actual gauges:
Mark the area in which you need to remove, and carefully use a Dremel to cut the extra 3/8" off the back lower half. You are removing a lip on the gauge, so not cutting into the actual gauge case

With this lower half removed, the amp will slide back and to electrical connector. There is now enough room to get the outer fairing back on.

I had some other pictures of the finished install, but can not locate. Next time I have the fairing off I will update.

Overall I am VERY happy... system rocks out. In fact, left my ears ringing on the first ride (okay, maybe I had it up a little too loud??!???... Naw). The reason I recommend NOT cutting both sides of the gauge bracket is that one of my gauges does sit out just a hair on that cut side. It would not be a problem, but since I believe I could get the Amp in with just the bottom half I will likely pick up some brackets and do that part again.

Speakers and Amp work great and sound quality is excellent!

Last edited by socal_cycle; 09-26-2012 at 05:41 PM.