Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fitting an 2010 front wheel to an 01 axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fitting an 2010 front wheel to an 01 axle

Does anyone know how to fit this 18 inch street glide rim up to a 01 front end and axle. I know my current axle is 1inch and the id of the 2010 bearings is 25mm. I know there is a wheel bearing kit but I'm not sure of the kit accomodates the change in bearing sizes from standard to metric.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
dvious141
Advanced

I put an 2010 18inch front on my 2006 FLHX. I purchased the following since the non-ABS bearings and 25mm sleeve were already installed.

3655A - Pan Head Torx (x10) to reuse your original rotors.
41547-07A - 25mm Front Axle
41900-08 - Front Sleeve
****-** - Wheel Bearing (refer to site below)
41901-08 - Spacer (x2)
6594 - Washer
7813A - Rounded Hex Nut

Use this site http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc to get the bearing information.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 AM
ThaGlyde
Road Master

So, from what I'm reading, all I need is a 25mm axle washers, spacers and a nut. I saw that the spacers were the same part num while the ones I have on there now rate different sizes and are side specific.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

ThaGlyde, I believe that the 52mmX15mmX25mm bearings you want to change to are not near as good as the 52mmX21mmX1" bearings that fit onto your existing axle. Please search on this great site for the numerous 25mm bearing failure rate.

The 52mmX21mmX1" bearing has 2 rows of bearings and is thicker in width to accomplish this.

The 52mmX15mmX25mm bearing is thinner so HD can use the ABS sensor in existing wheels that is piggybacked. The 25mm bearings are about 1/2 the money also. They look like this:

To get your wheel to work you would have to purchase a pair of 1" bearings & a new 1" axle wheel bearing spacer to go between the bearings. Of course you would have to R&R the bearings which requires a specialized tool. Do not let anyone do the job if they do not have the proper tools as damage can occur and it is not good when the front wheel locks up at worst or leaves you stranded on the side of the road at best.

High Quality Chinese bearings cost around $25 ~$30/pair for good industrial bearings with high tolerances or buy American made for $25/each. HD used Chinese made bearings but charges $25/each, the same quality of bearings that is sold on e-Bay for somewhere around $12~15/pair.

There is several companies that make these tools such as Jims or Georges garage.

A new 25MM axle costs $78 @ Harley and you must buy new 25mm axle spacer

Again, this is not a place where you wish to save money as it is your own life and possibly the life of your loved one that comes into play in your purchasing decision.

Good luck

Last edited by FastHarley; 10-04-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 AM
ThaGlyde
Road Master

Howard, are the OD of the new bearings and the old bearings the same?
If not would I have to contact all ***** or an independent bearing dealer. My reasoning is that if the OD of the bearomg of both wheels are the same I would be in luck and have the bearings replaced with new bearings for my axle. Also, are the hubs of both wheels the same length? If not, would I need another spacer to put the wheel back in and have the bearings sit correctly?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Not trying to answer on Howard's behalf, but my understanding is that there are 3/4", 1" and 25mm bearings available and they are all interchangeable. I have swapped 3/4" to 1" on a softail wheel. If you take a look at accessory wheels on Harley's website you will find that many of them will take all those three sizes. If 25mm are single row it suggests that spacers will be different.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:58 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by grbrown
Not trying to answer on Howard's behalf, but my understanding is that there are 3/4", 1" and 25mm bearings available and they are all interchangeable. I have swapped 3/4" to 1" on a softail wheel. If you take a look at accessory wheels on Harley's website you will find that many of them will take all those three sizes. If 25mm are single row it suggests that spacers will be different.
I have been slammed Graham, that is why I have not e-Mailed you on the proper way to install the gold emulators and other offerings. I could not understand why the different manufactures do not do proper diligence when developing their products.

Got the bottom tree machined (3) of them, and when correcting for exact correctness, while standing there at 7:30 am the CNC just locked up (electrically) and quit all by itself. Fast forward, $4,000 in repairs and 2~3 weeks in Chicago getting fixed.
---------------------------------------
OP, all three bearings are 52mm in OD, 3/4" & 1" are 21mm wide & the 25mm is 15m wide. I hope that answers your question. The axle wheel spacers (outside) do not need to be changed and the inside (axle wheel bearing sleeve) needs to be changed to 1" as the ID is 1". They are only $6 at your MOCO.

Kevin (owner) at All ***** uses KLM bearings which are quality units and I sell them for $15.85/each with $5.15 in 2 day USPO shipping. Kevin & I am working on a front fork bushing & seal replacement kit for the 41mm forks because HD no longer offers them at a reasonable price. They now want $60~$90/Pair depending on which model you have. We will see about that.

I hope I have answered all questions you have about this wheel swap.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM
DoubleZ
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hijack this thread but howard. your saying all three size bearings have the same outside diameter. so i could take mag wheels off an 2003 dyna with 3/4 axle and put 25mm bearings and sleeve in without having to drill out the wheel to accept the bigger bearing? im trying to put old style mags on my 2011 streetbob and was under the inpression i had to get mags from a 2005 in order to not have to drill the wheel.
again sorry for the hijack

Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DoubleZ
sorry to hijack this thread but howard. your saying all three size bearings have the same outside diameter. so i could take mag wheels off an 2003 dyna with 3/4 axle and put 25mm bearings and sleeve in without having to drill out the wheel to accept the bigger bearing? im trying to put old style mags on my 2011 streetbob and was under the inpression i had to get mags from a 2005 in order to not have to drill the wheel.
again sorry for the hijack
That answer has been on my site for years:

Converting 2000~2001 Rear Hub to a
2002 & Later
1" axle: Don’t Do It!PDF Download

Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
ThaGlyde
Road Master

Howard, when you compare the 1inch bearings to the 25mm, the one inch are wider due to the double rows. I'm not sure if they may seat flush into the hub of the 2010 wheel. If they don't then different spacers are in order correct? Or is the hub shorter than a wheel that naturally fits 1inch bearings?

Quick Reply: fitting an 2010 front wheel to an 01 axle