Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Monster Rounds vs. Hi-Output

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Vance & Hines Monster Rounds vs. Hi-Output

Who has experience with these slip ons for 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust? Is one much louder than the other? I have heard sound clips, but it's hard to tell. Is one beefier sounding? I'd like to avoid higher pitched, "grating on the nerves" sounding pipes. On the other hand, my new FLTRX is bone stock, and with a full coverage helmet, the stock stereo is almost useless. Oh well.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have Monster Rounds on my bike. It's not all that loud, but has a very deep rumble to them that carries for quite a distance. My brother thought they were pretty loud as he could hear me coming to his house long before he saw me. But later, when I fired up the bike to leave, he commented that they weren't as loud as he thought. There is a baffle in them. But they get louder the longer you have them. Were pretty quiet when I first got them. Quite a bit louder now after a couple thousand miles on them.

I have no experience with the "hi-output" slip-ons. Are they just a larger diameter muffler very similar to the MRs? If so, I've heard them on a Screaming Eagle Ultra. Sounded good. Not sure they were much different than the MRs. Looked like 5" diameter pipes.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Video below. It's apples and oranges to me, since in the video, the bike has a catless header x-pipe into the hi outputs, but has a V & H A/C and a 110 Screaming Eagle engine.

V & H Hi-Output:

http://www.youtube.com/v/MPS4FK1DqY8...apiid=ytplayer

Last edited by TORQUEY; 10-08-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds good. But, I think mine sound just as good. Also, I like the fact mine are one diameter the entire length. I don't like that little "step" in those.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a cluster can't get stuff to post. Oh we'll.

I think if you type in YouTube search.....markroadking you will see my RK with baffles unwrapped running.

Last edited by mgmmgm; 10-08-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: SFB
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

high outputs with vh true duals nice deep sound not too loud not too quiet great sound

Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Crazylegs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have monster rounds on true duals with the stage one. My air intake drowns out the sound of the pipes. Bike runs good though.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 AM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I have Monster Rounds on my bike. It's not all that loud, but has a very deep rumble to them that carries for quite a distance. My brother thought they were pretty loud as he could hear me coming to his house long before he saw me. But later, when I fired up the bike to leave, he commented that they weren't as loud as he thought. There is a baffle in them. But they get louder the longer you have them. Were pretty quiet when I first got them. Quite a bit louder now after a couple thousand miles on them.

I have no experience with the "hi-output" slip-ons. Are they just a larger diameter muffler very similar to the MRs? If so, I've heard them on a Screaming Eagle Ultra. Sounded good. Not sure they were much different than the MRs. Looked like 5" diameter pipes.
+1.
They'll bark at you if you want them to but when you hit cruising speed, they settle down and mellow out. I can actually enjoy my stereo now without having to turn it all the way up. Mine is stage 1 with decatted stock header pipes.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

From what I have read:The Hi-Outputs are loud.....the Monster Rounds are not loud.
Both have a great deep sound.

FYI:
Your bike will not sound like the one in the video. Not so much because it is a 110 motor,
but the Screamin' Eagle motors have a 255 cam from the factory.
Which will be louder, thumpier and deeper than your stock cam.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:36 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Monster Rounds on mine. Love em!
Was told that the HO's were for higher performance motors. Cams, heads, etc.
Mine is stock except for Power Duals and Monster Rounds.
Loud enough to set off car alarms, bunt not obnoxious.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Monster Rounds vs. Hi-Output