Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a new house and need some "garage" ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If building new it's inexpensive to add some electrical outlets in the ceiling for retractable cord reels. Most of us already have an extra one at the garage door opener. Great for easy power when you need it and for keeping battery tender cords out of the way.

Also, when we built our house, I put a hot/cold mix valve on the exterior hose bib just outside the garage. Great for washing bikes, dogs, boats, truck, etc...

Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are too many zoning permit hoops I have to jump thru so for now I have a killer 10x10 shed to keep my toys in. Now I know what you guys are saying "why'd you go so big"?? but that's just how I roll. HA!!!

Attached Thumbnails Building a new house and need some "garage" ideas-shed.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

As many have said, no such thing as too big. Make it double deep or more. If ya can't go deeper b/c house is behind it then stretch it out forward at least 50%. Make each space wider than normal. Make sure that if you were to get a lifted Crew Cab Duelly it would fit. If the lot s wide enough maybe even a fourth space that is double deep. Is it a big enough lot for an additional detached garage?

Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 AM
hoffmanlisa
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default garage door

Why don't you try put a door in your garage ?
And try to design it its trend in the market.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
And tell contractor.....the floor must all towards the drain or out it comes.
I can see that you too have experience with contractors. I've had one drain that you could use when the garage was flooded,..........to stand on and keep your feet dry!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraDune
If you are starting from scratch and framing put in a few skylight or suntubes. Lots of natural light from above is nice. Suprising how much light they give even on dull days...and yah, figure your size and add 15%!!
What can you do in a garage only 12 inch long and 2 inch wide?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Your backyard must have smelled great.
True, but you gotta figure that a guy that pisses through the wall probably could give a ****. (I would probably classify myself as a wall-pisser too!)

Old 11-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Lancemchn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my Harley garage in the works... Nothing super crazy but may give you ideas on colors. Wish it was bigger but I'm stuck with what I have. I'd love to keep both cars and the SG in there but the SG beat out one of the cars. At least I can get the Beemer in there. :-) Still have alot of accessories to add. I have a bunch of tins to hang, black receptacle/switches and covers, trim to finish, black beer fridge, bar stools, etc.

Attached Thumbnails Building a new house and need some "garage" ideas-photo-1.jpg   Building a new house and need some "garage" ideas-photo-2.jpg   Building a new house and need some "garage" ideas-photo-3.jpg  
Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Da-mack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By "Man Rules" the garage needs to be 2.479 times bigger that the house!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine is 32x24, 2 stall with extra wide work bench area. The 24 deep allows my Dodge 3500 LWB crew cab 4wd to fit in 1 side. Just barely though. Concrete floor seamless. Don't want expansion joints hanging up your creeper or roller seat. 100 amp service with a 220v, mine also serves as a generator feed in case of power outages. Lots of 20 amp 110v outlets placed about 3-4 feet off the floor. No need to bend down to plug in something. Lots of lighting that can be individually controlled. Have both florescent and incandescent. Ceiling fans. Insulated, plumbed. I don't have a urinal inside since I live in the country and there are trees outside. Ceilings at least 9' inside. Rafters reinforced to install an overhead lift or a large beam to serve that purpose. Mine has 2 9' wide garage doors rather than 1 large one. Also a standard steel entry door, outside opening.

Have fun there is no monetary reason not to make it a perfect get away.

Quick Reply: Building a new house and need some "garage" ideas