Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a new house and need some "garage" ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Building a new house and need some "garage" ideas

All, hope you don't mind the thread. Long story short, sold our house and had another home under contract that fell through. Now living in a one bedroom apartment and the bikes are a few miles away in storage while we build a new house. What I'm looking for are any ideas for the one room I get to layout, the HD Garage. I finally get a third bay to hold the bikes and want to do it right. Heck, the wife can design the rest of the house but I want a killer bike shop.

No ideas are too crazy. I am planning to build a lift into the garage floor, thanks to a member in this group, planning the HD Colors on the wall along with a fridge and my black rolling tool rack.

Pictures as usual are always appreciated. Right now I have a SG and the wife has a FatBoy if that means anything.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Suntower
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The snap together/anti fatigue flooring is always a good idea. If you don't want to fork out the money (and don't care if it's anti-fatigue)... you can get VCT (like walmart floors) in black and orange colors and do a checkerboard or pattern... and not hafta give the MOCO their pound of flesh for the privilege. It's an exceptionally durable product... but not entirely maintenance free.

One thing I will suggest... that I don't see hardly ever done... is to put NOTHING on the floor. Cabinets... tool box... beer fridge... couch... whatever. If you put everything on elevated platforms or legs... you can get in there and hose out the entire garage w/out moving anything.

And whether you think you want it or not... have the garage plumbed for a bar/sink. I would also suggest a decent sized floor drain... but that could be a code issue in your area.

Good luck man... it's a trying process... but so worth it.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 AM
JRSIMPSON
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air hoses and extension cords on reels, mounted on the wall or ceiling. And don't forget the hvac!
And put the air compressor outside, under a lean too or whatever it takes to keep it out of the garage area.

I did an epoxy floor coating, I will try and find the name but it comes in all colors. Mine looks like black and orange granite. Never stains and everything wipes up easily.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:56 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Go as big as you can afford!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

A full fridge and a urinal…

Old 10-17-2012, 03:22 AM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure it is long and wide. My number one mistake was not making the garage deep. I put the stand up 60 gl air compressor in the main garage and walled off the third bay with an access door. Plumed the air line into my bike shop as well as the main garage. When I close the door the compressor is harder to hear run. I put in a lot of lights to be sure it is bright when I am working in there. I put in outlets evey 4 feet so I would not need to use an extension cord. A switched outlet high on a wall that can turn on my large fan. A air-conditioner would be better, but I was not able to install one in mine. I also put in a gas heater with thermostat (MN winters) as well as the snap together floor tiles that keep me off the hard concrete floor.
I really like your in floor lift. My dealer has those an would love if mine was set up like that.
I also ran a 8"x8" beam across the ceilling above the Sheetrock and 2 2x6's in the wall on both sides of the beam. I then put a large eye bolt in the beam over the center of my
lift with a come-a-long attached to it. I have use it a few times to lift the bike or motor.
I sheet rocked the walls and ceiling and painted the ceiling white (for brightness) and the walls red/white/blue.
I have a fridge, large wood bench large with vice, stand up tool box, grinder on stand, tire changer, air lift table,and a center lift on the floor. I also installed track wall on the walls that allows me to place hooks or brackets any ware along the tracks and makes it easy to put any thing I want where I want it on the walls.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:54 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 152 Posts

No matter how big you make it, it will get filled up fast.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:26 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Floor drain.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:37 AM
longrides
Tourer

Originally Posted by HrdNox
A full fridge and a urinal…

+1.... I have the fridge but regret not having the urinal or toilet!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:41 AM
slughill
Road Captain
Received 339 Likes on 175 Posts

In Floor Heating!!!!
It's a must, can be pricey but well worth it. Wish I had it.

Quick Reply: Building a new house and need some "garage" ideas