Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Gear for FLHTCU(Ultra Classic Electra Glide)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 AM
warking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
When I bought my first Harley back in the 70s, reverse was an option on the Glides. They had a stock 4-speed, or 3-speed plus reverse, for use with a sidecar.
thank you sir.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know why these reverse gear threads always attract naysayers but they all seem to have one thing in common, they've never tried a Harley touring bike with reverse gear.

It's a lot like having an automatic garage door opener, only even more convenient as garage doors don't weigh 900lbs and can't fall over. So just like an automatic garage door opener means you don't have to get off your bike to open the garage door, a reverse gear means you don't have to get off the bike, and make your passenger get off, just to back it up when it's fully loaded or on an incline. It also means you can park wherever you want without having to worry about "parking smart." If you've got the coin it's a great mod, especially if you're got a shorter inseam.

Been using the Aim Tamachi Mamba reverse for the past four years, works great.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullitt59
Perhaps the MC should be petitioned for a reverse option on the Touring models. If it's available on the trikes, it should be available on the tourers.
It is available for the Trikes but it's an electric operated gizmo (POS)that keeps falling off,read the Trike section, and luckily I don't think it would fit on a two wheeler.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by warking
thank you sir.
It's a pleasure! I should have added that the reverse tranny came with hand change only not foot, which was also an option for the 4-speed.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sheesh a lot of time wasted reading the condemnation of other's making positive suggestions. Some people need a forum all their own so they can rule and demand everyone to follow their lead ...

If you can afford the high cost of all involved to add reverse go for it. My vote would be Baker also.

I'm curious, Kitcharoen can you safely be seated with both feet on the ground. If so the ability to balance the bike, and the experience to park in situations that you can ride away from is an important part of this overall consideration of the need for reverse.

I can actually reverse my bike by foot while seated better than I can stand off to one side, balance the bike and then roll it forward or backward. Never had a reason to do so other than loading in a trailer when it didn't run. Then the assistance of another person really helps.

And lastly if there is a physical consideration that prevents being seated and rolling the bike backwards then you have to do what you have to do.

Just an FYI, rolling the bike forward while seated when it's not running can be a real "ball buster". Been there, done that!

Last edited by JohnnyC; 10-31-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
It's a pleasure! I should have added that the reverse tranny came with hand change only not foot, which was also an option for the 4-speed.
Sir,your HD knowledge is impressive!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:06 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Yes, grbrown is a very insightful chap.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by OldPhat
Yes, grbrown is a very insightful chap.
Just been around a long time and still got my memory!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=luisan;10502340]You must be a philosopher,I'm used to stick to the facts.The gentleman was very clear,he didn't ask for other solutions/answers or smart *** replies.[/QUOTE

I did not see any smart *** comment or answer, but you seen to be pissed at something. Lighten up bro, the world is not so legalistic that a conversation can not or should not be exploratory. Likewise the OP did not exclude other options, so say your part and let others try to be helpful too.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Some guys here were just thinking outside of the gearbox!

Quick Reply: Reverse Gear for FLHTCU(Ultra Classic Electra Glide)?