Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I need an Expert.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:19 PM
HarleymanMike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! I need an Expert.

I have a 2012 Street Glide. I wired up some LED's to the acc. plug under the seat. Was gonna put a pigtail on battery for a float charger, so I took the terminals off. I noticed that I already had a pigtail on it (damn, they hid it well) so I put the terminals back on, turned the key on and....wait for it...NOTHING!! No dash lights, nothing. Checked every fuse in fuse box, all is good. The fairing is off, and there is 12v to the key on hot wire on the acc. plug. Is there a fusible link somewhere I'm not seeing?

Thanks, In advance

Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

it's been said 4,637,492 times... but it always bears repeating. Get a shop manual for your bike. And a parts manual to. you'll have a hundred bucks in the 2 if ya buy em new from the dealer, but they're worth a thousand if you're gonna work on your bike. get one. right now. why are you still here?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,537 Likes on 3,789 Posts

Sure you have LED's correct. Undo the attachment and replace the 15 amp ACC fuse and try. (should be spare in fuse box) Know my old bike has an black acc lead and also a gray plug for maintenance that is similar but should have a cap on it. Not sure what the new modern maintenance plug looks like

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-22-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Also, make sure you have the battery terminals greased & tight. If the only change from your project is the LED's...take them out of the factor, as Ripsaw suggested. Something's amiss w/your wiring so time to do things in reverse order...good luck!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put it back the way it was before you started. See if all works well. Then start over. One step at a time.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 AM
Biker John
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt0987
Put it back the way it was before you started. See if all works well. Then start over. One step at a time.
Ditto! Last thing you did...

Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleymanMike
I have a 2012 Street Glide. I wired up some LED's to the acc. plug under the seat. Was gonna put a pigtail on battery for a float charger, so I took the terminals off. I noticed that I already had a pigtail on it (damn, they hid it well) so I put the terminals back on, turned the key on and....wait for it...NOTHING!! No dash lights, nothing. Checked every fuse in fuse box, all is good. The fairing is off, and there is 12v to the key on hot wire on the acc. plug. Is there a fusible link somewhere I'm not seeing?

Thanks, In advance
Did you check the MAXI fuse that one will shut down everything.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by vzts4q
Did you check the MAXI fuse that one will shut down everything.
Its been forgot to be replaced by many!

Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you connected the LED through the Acc plug then the worst these can do is blow the 15A acc fuse which does not give you the symptoms you are experiencing.

As stated above, if you have checked all the standard blade fuses then go to the maxi fuse. If that is blown I am surprised you didn't see some sparks when you were working with the battery as it is a hefty fuse.

From what you describe I have a sneaking suspicion you had the ignition switch on whilst pulling the battery

Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 AM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt0987
+1. Exactly right, this is always my method any time I work myself into a trick bag (happens more often these days). Back out, get back to zero, then start again. You'll figger it out.

Quick Reply: Help! I need an Expert.