Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked! Insurance Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 PM
spookeg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked! Insurance Question

Dropped bike in rain when car cut me off at intersection. Estimate from insurance and dealer for damage. Check issued dual signature to dealer and me. Dealer kept check in my account to cover repairs. I want to use re chromer instead of moto company. How do I handle this with dealer?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have him do the work that he needs to do and tell him your going to get stuff powder coated/chromed. ask for check. if he gives you **** call your insurance company and tell them what up.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Call your insurance adjuster and ask what you need to do

Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Col Reb
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell the dealer what work you want done by them; any allowance for work not completed will be refunded to you. Legally, he can not keep your money for work not done. The insurance company's obligation is to pay you for your damage, not the dealer. There is no provision in your policy which states that the dealer is a payee.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,562 Likes on 5,154 Posts

Each state has there own rules/laws. Here it does not go like that.
The main reason it is issued in both names is to ensure the work is done.
In many cases there is a lien on the bike there are those that would pocket the cash and not repair the bike or do a half *** job on it and keep the cash.
Doing it the way they did insures the bike is repaired. I am betting a sit down with the dealer could help work out the details.
Not sure I follow the logic of re-chroming damaged parts over new but your ride.
Insurance company's duty is to make you and the lien holder whole not just you, some state require the lien holder to be listed on the insurance now. This has been done because of so many wrecked car and bike been turned back over to lien holder and people walking off with the settlement
Totaled my 2011 RGU August 30th I was able to meet with adjuster 3 days latter he handed me a check for every dime I had coming in my name only but I had no lien on the bike.

Last edited by smitty901; 11-01-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 PM
James K
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Col Reb
Tell the dealer what work you want done by them; any allowance for work not completed will be refunded to you. Legally, he can not keep your money for work not done. The insurance company's obligation is to pay you for your damage, not the dealer. There is no provision in your policy which states that the dealer is a payee.
Thats how I handled mine back in March. To the dealers credit they worked with me and what I wanted, would give them a 8.5 out of 10 on how it was handled.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 PM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain

You have the right to have it repaired where you want. However they have the right to charge you for estimate,admin fees, and storage fees.
You can pull bike and take it anywhere you want too. It does not have to be done at dealer so if they won't play ball pull it and go to indie. Insurance will rewrite check if you move it not a problem.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
The main reason it is issued in both names is to ensure the work is done.
In many cases there is a lien on the bike there are those that would pocket the cash and not repair the bike.
Doing it the way they did insures the bike is repaired.
+1. I'm betting there is a lien on the bike. If I were a loan company, I would want it done that way.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

..I'm an adjuster here in MA..this is the way it works in this state...if there was NO LEINHOLDER, the check would be made out to you only...you have the right to fix or not fix the bike in this state...(if you don't fix it, the amount of the settlement would be deducted from any future total-loss settlement)...if there IS a leinholder, check is made out to you AND the leinholder, that means bank won't cash it without a "certificate of completed repair" signed by a LICENSED repair shop..some ins co's will require a reinspection by one of their appraisers afterwards. If you sign what's called a "direction to pay", the check can be issued directly to the repair shop, in their name. If you haven't signed that, the check can be made out to the shop and you, even if their is a leinholder, you would have to sign it over at the shop. As to you wanting the shop to do only SOME of the repairs...well...shops generally don't take too kindly to that, and getting money back from them can be a fight. As someone else said, they can hold your vehicle until you pay x, y, and z fee..which can be $1000.00 or more...they can screw you good if they want too, and it's perfectly legal.....good luck...

Old 11-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Interesting topic...hope I never need the info, but still good to know.