Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed battery, bike now dead. Factory alarm related...

Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help: changed battery, bike now dead. Security system related

I've got the factory security system on my bike. I spaced out and changed the battery without first disabling the security system by putting into service mode. When I disconnected the battery, the alarm went off for about a minute, then stopped. I proceeded to install the new battery, but now the bike is completely dead. No power to ignition, speedometer or anything else not connected directly to the battery. I'm guessing the anti-theft mode is disabling the ECU. Can't even manually enter the disarm code to reset the alarm.

Any advice on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Twinrider; 11-01-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check your maxi fuse!
Pulling the maxi fuse while the key is on is also the easiest why to prevent the alarm from going off. But then again the international models may be differant.

Last edited by vzts4q; 11-01-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

The problem isn't shutting the alarm off now, but how to get the bike started as the electrical system appears to be completely shut down. I think the alarm might have immobilized the ECM when I disconnected the battery without first putting the alarm into service mode. Or maybe something else needs to be checked that I'm overlooking.

Last edited by Twinrider; 11-02-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
The problem isn't shutting the alarm off now, but how to get the bike started as the electrical system appears to be completely shut down. I think the alarm might have immobilized the ECM when I disconnected the battery without first putting the alarm into service mode. Or maybe something else needs to be checked that I'm overlooking.
Like I said check the maxi fuse. It could be blown this is the most likely cause of your problem and the easiest to check.

The reference to pulling it was for future reference to keep the alarm from going off.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, I am an idiot.... I went out this AM to see if I could figure out the problem before taking it to the dealer. Checked all the fuses and wiring connections. As I examined the positive extension cable with all the accessory wires attached to it, it dawned on me that I wasn't seeing the bike's main positive cable. Doh! It turned out that it had gotten shoved down when I put in the new battery and I had never connected it. Hooked it up and all was good. Thanks for the help and sorry for wasting your time!

Last edited by Twinrider; 11-02-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Great that it was that simple! Thanks for letting us know the solution as these things can drive a body mad. Had a similar deal once where my trickle charger wasn't charging. Turns out I had left the positive lead off the battery terminal. Duh!