Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   New seat first or shocks? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/821462-new-seat-first-or-shocks.html)

eberg 11-05-2012 11:18 PM

New seat first or shocks?

07 ultra 30k miles. For getting better long travel comfort would you change from stock seat or stock shocks first? What brand of each in ya'lls opinion?

Quiet56 11-05-2012 11:41 PM

That would depend on what bothers you the most, butt burn or back pain. I have a Corbin dual tour that I love and Ohlin's #3-#3 shocks. I also have the HD Premium Ride dual cartridges in the forks. A very pleasant and enjoyable ride no matter the distance and time in the saddle.

VTGlideRider 11-05-2012 11:43 PM

If the stock seat isnt an all-day seat for you I would go with that first, assuming what your looking for is a comfort improvement. The shocks will give you an improved ride and a handling boost, but if your looking to make a difference with long distance riding I would say seat first, then shocks.

My personal favorites are mustang for the seat and Ohlins shocks.

Android 11-05-2012 11:49 PM

Seat first 100% of the time.

drukanfu 11-05-2012 11:52 PM

Your dealer should have some try before you buy seats. That might be all you need.

eberg 11-06-2012 01:02 AM

Awesome, thanks. Unfortunately haven't had time to really get a good ride in to determine discomfort, just thinking ahead to next spring. Was thinking of some stuff to take care of over the winter.

RK Joy 11-06-2012 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Android (Post 10523772)
Seat first 100% of the time.

Shocks are in the picture part of the time, good shocks, bad shocks are not much of an element on smooth level road. For long range touring there can be a lot of long, smooth road. The seat is in the picture 100% of the time. I agree with the above -- do the seat. Your butte will thank you.

Scarz 11-06-2012 05:57 AM

For long range comfort, I would change the seat first and I recommend Mustang.

stupid_rope 11-06-2012 06:24 AM

love my lepera. also loved my C&C

Notgrownup 11-06-2012 06:35 AM

Sundowner seat...most bang for the buck...i bought my bike new..1000 miles and the stock seat had to go...bought a Mustang wide tour..was comfortable for about 65000 miles but this year i swapped to a Sundowner...don't know why i didn't do it sooner...much more comfortable to me but everybody's ass is different...

Personally i don't have a problem with the shocks on my 07...i just keep a close eye on the air pressure..i am 250 lbs and keep about 25-28 psi in them, if the wife rides i bump it up to about 33-35...If your shocks don't hold air get a take off set on Ebay...look i am not saying the HD stock shocks are better because they are not...Ohlins, Burley, Progressive etc....I personally also chose to do other upgrades instead of messing with the suspension...i changed the front fluids twice to SE havy fluids to stop the nose dive...

Good luck and have fun...