Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Shocks (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/821916-shocks.html)

CharruaHD 11-07-2012 08:05 PM

Shocks

I just got a set of used street glide shocks of ebay. Since I am new to the air shocks is it normal for the shocks to leak oil. They are leaking from the top connection/vavle. Would I need to refill the oil?

These will be going on a 09 Road King

Uncle Paul 11-07-2012 08:13 PM

A tiny bit of oil is normal if the air pressure was released from these valves.

When reducing pressure from installed shocks, it is recommended to pump in a little fresh air first, then bleeding the excessive air. Keeps oil from getting into pump.

mkguitar 11-07-2012 08:44 PM

you may have a problem ..if the previous owner allowed much of the oil to leak...the smart thing is to drain and refill both shocks with correct amount of oil and the grade of your choice.

you can find instructions on the forums by searching

removed shocks should be sealed and stored upright

if only a tiny amount of oil has leaked, fine... but if unsealed by P/O you won't know.

mike

fabrik8r 11-07-2012 08:54 PM

They should have been plugged before they were even removed from the other bike to keep fromm losing any oil. How can you possibly know how much has leaked out? I'd completely drain both of them and refil with Amsoil 10W shock therapy if they are pre-09 shocks , if they are 09 up shocks the 10w will be too heavy, you will have to experiment with fluid. I ended up about 60% 5w and 40% 10w Amsoil on my brothers 09. There are some threads on here about tweaking OEM shocks.

stupid_rope 11-07-2012 09:14 PM

you can also use ATF. its like 7.5 wt

JerryS63 11-07-2012 11:33 PM

Going to piggy back this thread. How much air is it normal for shocks to lose over time. Had them at 47psi for riding 2 up on a 09 RKC. That was a month a go rode the other day and bottomed out the GF on a bump. Checks shocks and they showed 40 PSI. We 2 up with gear are probably caring close to 500lb. I'm a big guy. I want to keep her riding but the bottoming out is a bif deal at this point. If this leakage is normal I'll just have to check it more often. If not will want to get it fixed.

stupid_rope 11-07-2012 11:41 PM

a month for 7 psi? pretty normal. check it every couple weeks, same as your tires

grbrown 11-08-2012 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by stupid_rope (Post 10531060)
a month for 7 psi? pretty normal. check it every couple weeks, same as your tires

The amount of air in them is very small, so big changes in weather can affect them as well. If it is colder now than when you last checked them that will account for some of the lost pressure.

CharruaHD 11-08-2012 06:01 AM

dam guys thanks for all the replies. i forgot to subscribe to thread and thought i was left out in the cold. The Shocks came off an 11' Street Glide there was noticable leakage but if that is normal then its ok. I was worried about them being bad. I'm gonna slap them on the bike this weekend and see how she rides. I need to do a bit more research on this as I ride 2 up alot and dont want to compromise the comfort of the ride then again it is sitting up too high...when I come to a stop its a hassle everytime. So maybe using better or will let me have my cake and lick it to.

thanks again for all the help

JerryS63 11-08-2012 01:53 PM

Does draining oil and refilling with a heavier oil make them handle heavier load better or just make them siffer over all. Don't want to ruin the ride but don't want to bottom or ruff bridge transitions either.