Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Oil for Winter Storage

Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 AM
rlj50
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing Oil for Winter Storage

I'm preparing my bike for winter storage. Should I replace all the oils in the engine - primary case, transmission and engine oil or just the engine oil? The service manual recommends changing the primary case lubricant every 10,000 miles and the transmission oil every 20,000 miles, and the engine oil/filter every 5,000 miles.

Thanks!

RLJ

Old 11-10-2012, 09:04 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I run it, then change everything for the winter.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 AM
ClassicBill
Advanced

I change all my fluids before parking for the winter no matter the miles. I've heard that I don't need to, but I'm always concerned that any contaminants that are in the oil will settle out and remain in the engine,primary,tranny till who knows when. I prefer to err on the safe side on these matters.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:28 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I change engine oil and put on a cheapo filter at the end of the season...Primary and trans oil isn't dealing with combustion and isn't contaminated like engine oil can be.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Krow
Tourer

I change mine at recommended intervals. Getting ready to put mine away, probably next week. At that time it will have about 1500 km (<1000 mi) on this change - HDSyn/Shockproof/HDGear. Oils these days all have cleaning agents that prevent sludge buildup. I'd only do another change if I was almost to the recommended interval.... even then, I might wait till spring if everything looked good. That meets OEM requirements for warranty. I've never heard of one person having problems solely because they never changed oil out for a few months of winter storage. Nothing in your oil is going to rot your engine out over a few months. Must be oil manufacturers that have perpetuated this myth.

If I was storing it for a few years, maybe then I'd flush it clean.

JMHO

Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wanted to change the oils based on age rather than mileage. The dealer told me not to but wait until spring. Greedy as dealers are it was rather refreshing to see that he advised not to spend my money in his shop just yet. Take from that what you want.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get the bike out whenever the roads are clear in the cold months and the temps are somewhat around forty degrees. Sometimes I can do this every week or two and sometimes I'll have to wait four or more weeks to ride.

Right now I've got two thousand miles since the last three home change and I'm going to run what I've got in the bike all winter long.

Redline is too expensive to dump after only a couple thousand miles and if you ask Redline themselves, they'll say... leave it in the bike and change at 5K miles.

YMMV but I like others are running top quality oils and the oils can take it!

Just ask the bike... it's happy!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Just follow the recommended schedule. As for winter storage, put the bike on a battery tender, add a little fuel stabalizer then fill the tank. You're good for the winter. However, NEVER start it up unless you plan to ride it until it is hot.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

59F or 15C tomorrow. Going to be riding tomorrow for probably the last time this year.
Then i will change the oil/filter, clean the bike and tuck it away for a few month.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 AM
The Prophet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I've never "stored" any bike, but have always tried to at least get them out on the road for a few hours at least once/week even in the coldest months - December to February.

Vehicles and machinery are meant to be run constantly, and dwellings should lived in constantly, otherwise... they go stale and smelll funny!!!

To each hizzone of course, but try to ride once in a while Vs. "Store" if possible.

That aside, there are Acidic chemicals in used, old, dirty oil from the oxidation process that can harm interior metal components - see and read about it here:

http://www.off-road-outdoors.com/Oil-breakdown.html

For say $25 bucks or so for oil, I'd change it - good insurance, and a cheap investment.

Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Oil for Winter Storage