Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to buy pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 PM
BufordP
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to buy pipes

Couple of questions, man I've been reading all the posts I can find here on exhaust along with vendor and mfg websites. Think I've got V&h power duals narrowed down but am all confused on fuel paks and breathers. These are the first thing other than tires I've put on my bike. Anyone got any great setups that work for your street glide. After 6 years just want it to sound more like a harley. Hell, my wife's 1200 with screaming eagles sounds better than mine. Not too loud want to be able to hear my radio. Thanks for thoughts!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by BufordP
I've got V&h power duals narrowed down but am all confused on fuel paks and breathers.
1.) pipes

2.) tuning compensation

3.) hi flow air cleaner

you need more air INTO the motor to make use of a hi flow exhaust ( and vice versa)

once you have more flow you need tuning compensation- and I'm sure your eyes are all woggly from all the info and opinions on the web- including mine and those to follow.

i use nightrider.com XIEDS for about $100

my air cleaner is the ness big sucker with chrome backing plate- about $115 shipped from easternpc on ebay

pipes: louder is not always faster/ quieter is not always slower.

the V&H power dual headers seem nice- my Pal has them.
still mufflers have to be chosen.
With monster ovals they are too loud for the radio- and a drag to ride behind...tinny and annoying.
The PD may hit hard on right turns IF your bike is lowered.

if you have no cat in your headers, look at staying with the stockers and a set of slip ons.

I use supertrapp style tunable pipes- plenty power, controlled noise.
the S/E fatshots and nightsticks are made by supertrapp and can be altered for louder or quieter

for all this trouble you are likely to see 7 to 10 horsepower gained- depending on components chosen

my total expense for a stage 1 is at $425. careful shopping is where it is at.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-07-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:51 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Couple of questions, man I've been reading all the posts I can find here on exhaust along with vendor and mfg websites. Think I've got V&h power duals narrowed down but am all confused on fuel paks and breathers. These are the first thing other than tires I've put on my bike. Anyone got any great setups that work for your street glide. After 6 years just want it to sound more like a harley. Hell, my wife's 1200 with screaming eagles sounds better than mine. Not too loud want to be able to hear my radio. Thanks for thoughts!
We specialize in EFI tuning and exhaust systems and carry a wide range of products to fit all budgets, including the V&H Power Duals. We can offer info and recommendations based on our years of testing and working one on one with our customers and we offer unlimited support. If you feel we could be of assistance you are welcome to contact us at 877-729-4754 or you can visit our website at www.fuelmotousa.com

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not a Street glide, but here's my set up:
1) Arlen Ness Stage I AC
2) V&H True Duals
3) V&H HI OUTPUT Slipons
4) Screaming Eagle Race tuner
5) T-Man 555 Cams
6) Dyno'ed

I love the set up and would not change a thing. One question I was told to consider was "are you going for sound or performance?" I think I found a happy medium between the two. There are ways to get better better performance out of the bike like going 2:1 rather that 2:2 like I have, but I'd perfer to keep the dual pipe on the back of the bike.

I've seen a lot of folks talk about the Fuel Moto guys and how great they are...I found out about them after I was already down my path though. If I were to do it over, I'd contact Fuel MOTO and get their opinion first.

just my .02

Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Call fuel moto or mgs. They can answer any questions you can think of and a few you haven't.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Opinions are like butts, everyone has one so Here is my take!
Screamin Eagle air cleaner kit, $260.00 Harley
Rineharts 4" true exhaust, $1060.00 Eastern Performance. (best price)
Any tuner will work, depending on how much money you want to spend.
Anywhere from $50 to $1000.
Dyno is a must $150

It only cost money, I'd sure check out the Rineharts before spending the money,
I have the V&H true dual setup on one of my bikes, but I'm going to the Rineharts on the other bike because it's a better system and sounds good too!
Harley came out with a new Stage 1 kit with several filter covers, looks really good, going to get one of those for my 09 Ultra.
If you live close to moto their good, their are plenty of Indy shop who specialize in performance, I choose them over the dealerships.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Buford do yourself a favor and call FuelMoto. Jamie and the guy's have it going on right now on exhaust and tunning. He can work you up a great package deal at a good price.
I do however favor the Power Duals from V&H's and have rode over 20,000 miles without dragging them any while riding.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Based on my experience with FuelMoto, you will get good, honest info, even if it means that they don't sell you something. I asked about the difference between a gutted cat and their 2-1-2 pipe, and was told that with my minimal modifications, I wouldn't gain that much from the head pipe. Most companies would have told me that the front wheel would fall off if I didn't use their stuff.

They then furnished me with a Power Commander V with a custom map for my application. So far, I am totally satisfied.

Bill

Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

...Think I've got V&h power duals narrowed down but...
FWIW, I've had two sets of V&H pipes...one set simply did not fit (exhaust ports did not line up) and the other had O2 sensor bungs that were too long causing tuning problems.

I would not purchase V&H again.

...am all confused on fuel paks and breathers. These are the first thing other than tires I've put on my bike. Anyone got any great setups that work for your street glide. After 6 years just want it to sound more like a harley. Hell, my wife's 1200 with screaming eagles sounds better than mine...
You really need to figure what you're actually trying to achieve.

If it's just sound, go find a bunch of bikes set up like yours and listen to the different exhaust notes. Or like so many others do, start buying different systems, try them, put them up for sale, and buy some more until you find the sound you're looking for.

"Breathers" (aka air cleaners for most people) make little difference unless you change the throttle body too. Go with what looks cool to you as actual performance changes are very small with a swap in breathers only.

"Fuel Paks" and similar devices are like slip-ons...thousands of "hardly used" ones for sale in different classified ads or auction sites. So, buy one of those, use it for a couple months, then take if off and put it up for sale like many others.

After all this, you'll have followed in the path of many others, realized those mods didn't do what you wanted, and then head off in another direction.

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

"Fuel Paks" and similar devices are like slip-ons...thousands of "hardly used" ones for sale in different classified ads or auction sites. So, buy one of those, use it for a couple months, then take if off and put it up for sale like many others.

After all this, you'll have followed in the path of many others, realized those mods didn't do what you wanted, and then head off in another direction.

That's exactly what happened to me...I was not getting the kind of performance from the V&H Fuel Pac and I ended up selling it for almost 50% of what I paid for it...4 months after I bought it. Then I went to the screaming Eagle Race tuner and the issues I experienced with the V&H product were solved. There's not much of a market for this tuner out there...even if I had a new one if would have taken a ling time to sell this tuner. It sat for nearly 6 months before someone finally baught it from me on eBay.

A very pricy lesson!

Last edited by The Cheesehead; 11-07-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Ready to buy pipes