Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That dang TBW

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:00 AM
HDsportster99
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That dang TBW

Everything is extended and ran for my ape hangers. TBW dont wanna lay in its home. Its about 2" from it, if that. Does anyone have any tricks or any idea why it wont lay flat? I adjusted the wires couple times making sure they werent gettin bunched.
Any input helps.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:04 AM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Check the inside of the bars for any rough spots that might be keeping the Twist Grip Sensor from sliding all the way inside the bars.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:07 AM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

What bars? I had the same issue with my prime apes before buying the cvo harness. The green plug happened to be in just the right spot, not all the way over the inside corner and into the down tube, but if I left it on the topside of the inside corner, the wiring would push the sensor out of the bar. Spent the $100 on the cvo throttle and with a little pushing/pulling, settled right in place. I know it can be done with most bars using the connector, and some guys just eliminate it by soldering, but the cvo harness is only $100. For the peace of mind, I'll happily spend $100 to make sure my $25,000 bike is dependable after a bar swap.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:10 AM
HDsportster99
Tourer

Carlini Gangster Apes 16in.
I cut the green adapter & soldered it..

Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Shane Grimstead
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I cut my green connector out and soldered the wires together without issue. I've done it on 4 bikes now without issue. With my Vindikta bars, I believe the green connector would end up somewhere around the "sharp point" inside the bar so I just did away with the connector all together. Like I said, no issues thus far.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:30 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

If the TBW harness gets underneath the control wire harness in the bars, sometimes it makes it difficult to pull it those last few inches. I would suggest pushing the control harness back into the bars from the bottom to see if that will unwind the harnesses enough to pull the TBW the rest of the way in.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:31 AM
KROMEBLK
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found that pulling the tbw wires though the bars first works best . Then the switch wires . You also may have a constriction at the bottom of the bars where they bend toward the clamp , it is hard to get the wire bundle to bend around the inside curve if that is where the splicing wants to end up as you pull the wires through . When splicing wires or using the nams wire extenders it is a good idea to plan the splice area to be between the down bar curve from the grip and the bar curve to the clamp . Hope this helps .

Old 03-19-2015, 09:44 AM
HDsportster99
Tourer

Originally Posted by KROMEBLK
I have found that pulling the tbw wires though the bars first works best . Then the switch wires . You also may have a constriction at the bottom of the bars where they bend toward the clamp , it is hard to get the wire bundle to bend around the inside curve if that is where the splicing wants to end up as you pull the wires through . When splicing wires or using the nams wire extenders it is a good idea to plan the splice area to be between the down bar curve from the grip and the bar curve to the clamp . Hope this helps .
All of these are helping. Im gonna go home & mess with it. Try to feel if anything is binding up. Thanks guys

Old 03-19-2015, 09:54 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by sixshooter
What bars? I had the same issue with my prime apes before buying the cvo harness. The green plug happened to be in just the right spot, not all the way over the inside corner and into the down tube, but if I left it on the topside of the inside corner, the wiring would push the sensor out of the bar. Spent the $100 on the cvo throttle and with a little pushing/pulling, settled right in place. I know it can be done with most bars using the connector, and some guys just eliminate it by soldering, but the cvo harness is only $100. For the peace of mind, I'll happily spend $100 to make sure my $25,000 bike is dependable after a bar swap.
And for what it's worth, peace of mind doesn't cost $100. It's free. It comes from knowing that you've prepared yourself for the job at hand and trusting in your own abilities to do the job correctly. The fact that your working on a $25,000 bike or a $2500 beater is irrelevant. And it cutting it out or buying the CVO version makes no difference in dependability.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Last edited by SBates08; 03-19-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:15 AM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
And it cutting it out or buying the CVO version makes no difference in dependability.
It does when nerve damage in my hands won't allow me to hold a solder gun and wire steady enough to make a good solder joint. Last thing I want to do is chance a joint failing in my bars and my throttle dying 150 miles from home. $100 for no joint to fail at all is peace of mind for me.

Quick Reply: That dang TBW