Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hayden Primary Chain Tensioner - Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Were there no rollers in the cam chains? Asking 'cuz I don't know. Whether the parts that fitted between the sprocket teeth rolled or not, at least they should have doubled to quadrupled the surface area rubbing against the blocks and slowed the wear rate.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Were there no rollers in the cam chains? Asking 'cuz I don't know. Whether the parts that fitted between the sprocket teeth rolled or not, at least they should have doubled to quadrupled the surface area rubbing against the blocks and slowed the wear rate.

The problem with the spring type cam chain tensioners was caused not only by the material used in the wear pads but the non-roller cam chain used in the early versions. H-D changed the pad material and went to a roller chain which extended the life of those spring type tensioners.
None of those cam chain issues has anything to do with the primary chain.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:51 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Leftcoaster, thanks for the additional info. If you will check the previous page you will see that I have no confusion between the primary drive and the cam drive.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 PM
dieselcrank
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice setup

Old 01-01-2013, 02:03 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Expat1
Before you re-assemble, make sure both threads (in the aluminum casing) are not ovalized or cracked. The 'softer' bolt is there to limit damage; if you had a Grade 8 bolt the casing would have been beaten seriously...
Holes and threads look good. I thought the bolts were harden because they each have 6 dashes on the heads. I think I'll go ahead and buy Harley bolts. The HD bolts have those built on washer heads anyway. The M6 directions say do not use washers anywhere on the Hayden.
The mounting bolts had red on their threads and still worked loose.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by U-234
Holes and threads look good. I thought the bolts were harden because they each have 6 dashes on the heads. I think I'll go ahead and buy Harley bolts. The HD bolts have those built on washer heads anyway. The M6 directions say do not use washers anywhere on the Hayden.
The mounting bolts had red on their threads and still worked loose.
If you have a doubt about stretched threads, mount the body without its shoe and without loctite. Torque the screws to their max value, and let sit overnight. You must have the same torque value after a heat cycle or after 24H, comparison is done at the same temperature to eliminate thermal expansion of the female thread.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by streeter

Just so you know......that tensioner is an early 07 version that was prone to distorting or breakage as indicated in the photo. There was a production run change to the tensioner in 07 to what you have today. Again this outcome is only early production 07 models. Your new design HD tensioner will not fail as indicated in this photo. But if you want to spin it, it's good for sales.

Happy New Year!
Good to know that not all 07's have the thin shoe material. But you can bet if I had an 07, I would be taking a look at the tensioner regardless.

And just so you know, respectfully, no one is trying to spin anything. An owner will either keep his/her stock tensioner, or take steps to improve it. A personal ownership decision.

The new design may not break in two places and look like the one in the photo from the 07 bike primary, but there is no ignoring the fact that it just keeps getting tighter. The post-07 shoe design may not fail, but it will contribute to failure of other components, mainly various bearings. All of this has been discussed thoroughly in this thread.

Good for sales? Please, this is a discussion. From the beginning, there has been no particular pitch for either of the aftermarket replacements offered by Baker or Hayden. Both have positive attributes when compared to the stock units shortcomings. Again, up to the owner to decide which product would work best for his/her approach toward improvement.

And I wish you a Happy New Year as well!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

[quote=Lowcountry Joe;10724648]Good to know that not all 07's have the thin shoe material. But you can bet if I had an 07, I would be taking a look at the tensioner regardless.

The new design may not break in two places and look like the one in the photo from the 07 bike primary, but there is no ignoring the fact that it just keeps getting tighter. The post-07 shoe design may not fail, but it will contribute to failure of other components, mainly various bearings. All of this has been discussed thoroughly in this thread.

I had already bought new style tensioner off ebay and planned to install it. But after reading thru this thread and others about the tensioner I ordered the M6. It seems to me that Harley made a bad part stronger not better. Instead of the shoe breaking as on my '07 the too tight chain will cause bearing wear. Be it clutch hub bearing, transmission, or crank. (I'm not a mechanic so if I got a bearing wrong or I didn't include a possible problem bearing please let me know)
The picture of the broken shoe shows the forces involved more so than a picture of a noisy bearing.
I'll do the torque check after I buy new bolts. Thanks for the info. And thanks for this thread.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 PM
NECaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The broken tensioner in U-234's bike underscores the stock tensioner issues. Looking at Lowcountry Joe's and my tensioner I don't see where either tensioner may last past 30K+ miles. Wear enough material off the top of the shoe plus the ratcheting tension and the shoe will eventually fail.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I received my tensioner today, they assurred me it has the new springs. Now after reading the instructions I received, they contradicted themselves in print by stating the clearance was 3/8" and at the end it had 1/2". So after another email they said the correct measurement is 3/8" and they updated all the instructions now.
Anyone else notice they advise to ONLY use HD fluid? They mention compatability with other fluids and the plastic material. I have been running Redline primary fluid so far.
Just wondering if some of the wear issues mentioned here could have been from fluid issues? Whats everyone been using?
Sorry if some of this was covered but 200+ posts and I got tired of looking this up.

Quick Reply: Hayden Primary Chain Tensioner - Pictures