Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary "oiliness" with ATF

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 07:30 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts
Default Primary "oiliness" with ATF

There have been discussions about ATF not being lubricant enough for a primary, and not getting into all the areas, causing rust. Since I had mine open and disassembled, thought I'd show some pictures of just how wet and lubricated everything in there is with some years of ATF (Dexron) in it. In no particular order:

The following users liked this post:
WVHARLEEMANN (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 08:28 AM
Zedbra
Road Warrior
Received 901 Likes on 497 Posts

Do you add any friction additives like Lube Guard?

Old 03-03-2020, 08:31 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Zedbra
Do you add any friction additives like Lube Guard?
No. Just straight Dexron ATF.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:28 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,246 Likes on 6,006 Posts

Why would you need friction additives in ATF? Automatic transmissions have gears, clutches, clutch plates... the clutch plates in an automatic function similarly as our do. I replaced clutch in my Sportster, and Energy One recommended Type F ATF. Apparently the Type F has some different additives than dextron....but.... It took a bit of prying to find out why Energy One recommended Type F, over Syn3, but they finally said the Syn 3 is extremely slippery and they had some issues (not a lot, but enough) with customers using Syn3 they recommended not to use this. I can see adding friction modifiers to Syn3, but not to ATF.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:29 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Is using an ATF lubricant better than using one that is JASO MA rated in the primary?
This should probably be posted in the oil forum.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:36 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

Looks good fox, what year bike?

Old 03-03-2020, 01:03 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by xcbullet
looks good fox, what year bike?
04 rk

Old 03-03-2020, 07:51 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper

04 rk

My understanding is that all the compensator oiling issues are with the newer style compensators that the MoCo "improved" in the '06 dynas and then across the entire line in '07... These newer compensators had a lot of issues within the first few years, and more than average issues until the latest updated version in the '14 Rushmore bikes... The oil not getting to the ramps, the splines, etc., was an issue with these comps... that's why the MoCo included an oil diverting scoop/shoe/ramp in the '14+ bikes' outer primaries, and a glue on piece for retro fitting the '14+ comp to the older year twin cams..

If you have an '04 Road King, you'll have one the older, good compensators that never had any oiling issues...... There was never a problem using ATF in a primary prior to the '06/'07 comp upgrade... The clutch pak design/composition dictated which fluid worked best. Oiling the comp wasn't a consideration...

Last edited by hattitude; 03-03-2020 at 07:54 PM.
ohioflhs (03-04-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 08:20 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
Why would you need friction additives in ATF? Automatic transmissions have gears, clutches, clutch plates... the clutch plates in an automatic function similarly as our do. I replaced clutch in my Sportster, and Energy One recommended Type F ATF. Apparently the Type F has some different additives than dextron....but.... It took a bit of prying to find out why Energy One recommended Type F, over Syn3, but they finally said the Syn 3 is extremely slippery and they had some issues (not a lot, but enough) with customers using Syn3 they recommended not to use this. I can see adding friction modifiers to Syn3, but not to ATF.
I've been running Mobil 1 syn ATF with 4 ounces of Lubeguard highly friction modified ATF supplement practically since my '15 Limited was new. Absolutely the best mix I've tried, and I've tried a lot.

Quite a few have tried it on my recommendation.... all seem to like it. Quieter, smoother shifts, way less 1st gear KLANK.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Zedbra (03-03-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 01:40 AM
Brew61
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I have been running B&M Trick Shift Transmission Fluid in my 04 RK primary for quite a few years now. Works great

Bruce

Quick Reply: Primary "oiliness" with ATF