Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Khromewerks 12" Fat Apes Installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:03 AM
FrankCaputo
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Khromewerks 12" Fat Apes Installed

Hello All,

I know there have been plenty of threads about apes lately, but I wanted to post about my install since it's on an older carb bike and the issues can be a bit different.

I installed the 12" Khromewerks Fat Apes with the 1 1/4" tubing after much reading here on the forum about bar height. My goal was to have my wrists above my elbows but below my shoulders since the stock configuration was well below my wrists. For me, the stock setup had me leaning over on the long trips. Not too cool.

INSTALLATION

Plenty of good videos on Youtube can help with getting the fairing off. I used the LA Choppers video:
. As far as cables go, I went with +6 clutch, throttle, idle cables and +6 for the upper brake line mated to the new lower brake line assembly all from Magnum Shielding. The finish is their Chromelite and I couldn't be happier with the service and quality from them. I read that some folks just get a +4 clutch cable only on the newer bikes or no cable change at all up to 10" apes, but that's not an option on my year EG. +6 was perfect for all the cables, and even a 10" set of apes would require a +4 complete cable change IMHO. This assumes you run them through the fairing. My service manual was essential for all the cable installation and adjustments involved since most of the videos address TBW installs.

It's highly recommended that the bar clamp is upgraded from the 2 piece unit to the single piece clamp for a bar change. Harley part # is 55918-08 and it's $35.95....money well spent since all that extra mass of the new bars being shaken by the engine could be a challenge for the old clamp system.

I ran my wires through the bars using the factory wire loom that was already on them after taking apart the Deutsch connectors to pull the wires. A helpful video on the Deutch plug:
Even though its a Sportster in the video, the plugs are the same. Be careful pulling that orange locking piece from the plug. That thing is delicate. Battery pliers work well. A video that helps with getting wires pulled through the bars is:
although I used trimmer line behind the string instead or mechanics wire. Like most folks discover, the plugs for the wires in the fairing have to be relocated down by the radio, but that doesn't really pose any problem. I used zip ties to keep everything tucked in and away from items like the clutch cable and throttle cables. A pic of the wires pulled through the bars and the connectors reattached:

As a side note, I changed my fork oil while I had the bars off since I had easy access to the tops of the tubes. I pulled the banjo fittings off the air system and attached a brake bleeder to the fork. A buddy of mine kept pumping the bleeder while I steadied the container of oil that got siphoned up into the fork from the bottom. Glad I did this since some purple colored yak came out of the fork drains when I opened them.

IMPRESSIONS

When I first sat on the bike to test drive it, I said to myself, "what the hell have I done?". That quickly gave way to riding bliss with the new hand position. My hands are now about 1 1/2 - 2 inches above the fairing, but the cooler weather hasn't been a problem with them being up there....need gloves anyway. Handling of the bike is so improved and going through the curves seems so much smoother with he new hand height. I was worried about slow speed handling, but practice in a parking lot showed improvement there as well.

I like the clean look of the bars with the wires internal and the mirrors up high clear my shoulders now so rear traffic visibility is also much better. I'll bring them back towards me about an inch and the position will be perfect.

For anyone considering the change, especially on an older bike, I highly recommend it. What the hell, it's only money! Some folks wish they would have gone taller on the bars, but I'm happy with the 12's. I believe that 10's would have been too short for me since I'm 6ft. with a 34-35 sleeve. I've got about 8 hours in the saddle since the change and couldn't be happier. The fork oil (SE Heavy) change really improved the front end of the bike since the previous owner had around 2 ounces shy of full in the tubes.

Couple of pics:

What do ya think?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been looking at these bars too but could not find anyone on here that had them. Could you possibly post some more pics from the back of the bike and maybe one with you on the bike so I could get a better idea of the height. Thanks for posting!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:58 PM
FrankCaputo
Tourer
Default More Pics

I have been looking at these bars too but could not find anyone on here that had them. Could you possibly post some more pics from the back of the bike and maybe one with you on the bike so I could get a better idea of the height. Thanks for posting!
Yup...hope these help!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 PM
glcash
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I likes. Nice job. Clean bike!

Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Demolitionman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best mod I ever did to mine. I went with 11's though. Like you, at first I thought what the well did I do since I just injured my shoulder before the install. I realized it hurt with any bars. The only bad part is now if you and one of your buddies switch bikes for a bit, it just wont feel right.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM
FrankCaputo
Tourer

I likes. Nice job. Clean bike!
Thanks! It's coming together...really liking the new bars!

The only bad part is now if you and one of your buddies switch bikes for a bit, it just wont feel right.
If they ride mine, I'll end up helping with a bunch of apes installs

Old 12-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Kentheworth
Cruiser

Hey Frank thank you for all the details... i will change them in the holiday i went with 11'' Santee bars and i am planning to do it myself. The only sad part is that here in Montreal i wont be able to try it before beginning of april. I will post some pictures once its done and im also putting painted inner fairing,chrome controls!!! should come out nice ... Nice Bike by the way !

Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the look. Pretty good height - not too high.

Have fun with 'em.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:40 AM
FrankCaputo
Tourer

Hey Frank thank you for all the details... i will change them in the holiday i went with 11'' Santee bars and i am planning to do it myself. The only sad part is that here in Montreal i wont be able to try it before beginning of april. I will post some pictures once its done and im also putting painted inner fairing,chrome controls!!! should come out nice ... Nice Bike by the way !
Great mod, well worth the time for the improved riding position. I didn't think I would like the higher bars as much as I do. Looking forward to your pics. Awesome red SG BTW!

I like the look. Pretty good height - not too high.

Have fun with 'em.
Thanks oneup. It was a PITA at times, but worth the effort!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for taking the time to post this info. Nice bars they look great

Quick Reply: Khromewerks 12" Fat Apes Installed