Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the Dealer Digital Technician Software Update?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 PM
MasterGunz1775
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the Dealer Digital Technician Software Update?

Curious just ordered Boom Saddlebag speakers or my street Glide and I read that I have to have a Dealer Digital Technician Software update - do I have to bring it to the dealer and get charged or is it something I can do if I can obtain whatever the parts etc are???
Thanks

Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

I'm not sure how they wire in, but it's probably needed to activate the rear speaker option in your stereo. On the bikes without rear speakers stock, the option/feature is disabled.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 PM
mmats69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
I'm not sure how they wire in, but it's probably needed to activate the rear speaker option in your stereo. On the bikes without rear speakers stock, the option/feature is disabled.
I believe you are right. When I added my saddlebag speakers this had to be done.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterGunz1775
Curious just ordered Boom Saddlebag speakers or my street Glide and I read that I have to have a Dealer Digital Technician Software update - do I have to bring it to the dealer and get charged or is it something I can do if I can obtain whatever the parts etc are???
Thanks
I've heard of some dealers turning on the rear speakers for free. It should be free, the rear should be enabled from the factory or the user should be able to do it.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Just guessing, but I would say it is probably a firmware upgrade applied to your HK radio to simply turn on the rear audio left and right channels. They shouldn't charge you a damn dime to apply this firmware change. All they do is insert a CD into the HK and the HK does the rest. And who knows, maybe they can do it from DT. You may be able to download that from the HD site. We are able to download other HK firmware updates, so maybe that one is there for the Street Glides as well. But if you can get it done during install, let the dealer do it in case something goes wrong.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

It's my understanding that the rear speakers are on by default..... the radio flash is to activate the fader, so you can adjust the front/rear balance.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
It's my understanding that the rear speakers are on by default..... the radio flash is to activate the fader, so you can adjust the front/rear balance.

You know Shooter, I think you are absolutely correct. I seem to remember a post not so long ago talking about that. Until the flash is performed, the fade function is not available as a working function on the HK. (nor should it be since there are no rear speakers thus nothing to fade).

Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
You know Shooter, I think you are absolutely correct. I seem to remember a post not so long ago talking about that. Until the flash is performed, the fade function is not available as a working function on the HK. (nor should it be since there are no rear speakers thus nothing to fade).

Yeah, I recall now a post by Carl (HarleyPingMan) that detailed which pins were the ones to connect to on the back of the radio for the rears outputs. I seem to recall the same, that the fader wasn't a default feature on those bikes with only front speakers.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts

There is a submenu in that HK radio. I'm thinking it is available searching online. I know you can download a firmware update for the radios if you look up the headunit on the HD site. You download a file, and burn it on your computer.

I'd install your speakers as per the instructions, and see what happens. Maybe the HK unit has output sensing.

Let us know what you find. I thought about the speaker lids, but I'd rather a round speaker.

Funny thing, If I went new motorcycle, I'd not drop a nickel on the audio again. Earbuds and a bluetooth communicator. Works awesome.

Merry Christmas

H

Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 PM
MasterGunz1775
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Gentlemen

Thanks for the words of wisdom gentlemen (loosely of course) - I'll keep ya posted on the install - local dealer stated it would cost approx $40 for labor no appointment necessary - Hence the question and discussion of a simple solution...thanks seriously for the suggestions and input...

Quick Reply: What is the Dealer Digital Technician Software Update?