Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ape hanger issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 PM
B@man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ape hanger issue

have been working on my apes recently. when i did the throttle cables(magnum chromite II) i got them all run with little issue but i cant seem to get the adjustments right. it always seems that it doesn't snap back quick enough. I've followed the instructions in my shop manual and also watched about 20 videos online, better but still not right. any tips? thanks!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran into this issue with my install. I determined it was how the cables were routed. I had too sharp of a turn going through the top of the nacelle. I ran a little test and pulled the cables and ran them outside the nacelle and adjusted them just to see if i got the snap that I was looking for and I did. That told me it was a routing issue. I ran them again avoiding any sharp turns and pinching and they now work.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 AM
B@man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I ran into this issue with my install. I determined it was how the cables were routed. I had too sharp of a turn going through the top of the nacelle. I ran a little test and pulled the cables and ran them outside the nacelle and adjusted them just to see if i got the snap that I was looking for and I did. That told me it was a routing issue. I ran them again avoiding any sharp turns and pinching and they now work.
Thanks, Im gunna try that today and see what happens, just out of curiosity do the throttle and idle cables have any diffrence. Im thinking i couldve put them in the wrong place.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by B@man
Thanks, Im gunna try that today and see what happens, just out of curiosity do the throttle and idle cables have any diffrence. Im thinking i couldve put them in the wrong place.
I'm not sure about yours. Mine are different because I have cruise control, so there's no way to mix them up. Good luck!!