Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Exhaust questions for you Riders Overseas

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:39 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts
Default Active Exhaust questions for you Riders Overseas

I "think" the active exhaust is on 2007+ Export/ International market bikes ( HDI).

As I understand there is an intake muffler which closes at low motor speeds ( rpms) as well.- anyone got a pic of this in place?
At what rpm does it open ? is the opening affected by load, road speed or gear selection, or does it always seem to open at the same rpm ?

Ok, so as I understand the HDI bikes have a more muffled left side muffler- at low rpms the valve is closed and the exhaust is routed through the left side.

at some point ( rpm? load?) the valve opens and exhaust is also able to exit through the right side- which is more open than the left.

so questions:

do you guys disable these ?

is the operation of this part of an inspection process ( MOT) ?

what is the result with an aftermarket hi-flow slip on muffler ( with stock headers and valve in place) ?

in "theory" depending on the mufflers used and the rpm/load under which the valve actuates...this could be used to enhance performance- preserve exhaust velocity and work for low rpm power and high rpm power

( kinda the opposite of how the Vmax carb intake worked)

I'd appreciate any input on that stuff and how it works- any comments from Riders who have first hand experience.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-15-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mk -- They came to Australia in 2009 don't know about elsewhere. Mine was disabled by the dealer before I rode it out the door.
The control cable can be disconnected easily and tucked under the side panel, however it will still move in the cable sleeve - no big deal.

The dealer "Digital Tech" has a switch to deactivate it and leave the cable connected but I'm sure they would charge for it.

Sorry I can't answer your other Q's. Been interested in finding those out myself but there doesn't seem to be any literature on it-- at least that I have tried to find.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks--- I'm hoping one of the other Guys "down there" will chime in.

failing that I'll be in Oz in March and I can always go to a dealer with my flashlight and pliers

Mike

Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Even back in 1990 my HDI Evo had more restrictive stuff on it than US spec bikes, including a quieter intake muffler as well as exhaust mufflers, also higher overall gearing (61T rear pulley, instead of 70T).

As well as that active exhaust we also get quieter mufflers on current bikes. Here in the UK our MOT (Ministry of Transport) vehicle roadworthiness test is not specific on noise levels. In other words they don't actually measure it, just exercise judgement, but very noisy exhausts will get a fail.

I don't know anyone personally who has a recent bike with that valve, but I do know it does get disabled by some owners. When I bought my 2011 Sporty new I was asked at the outset if I wanted a stage 1 (mufflers, air filter & SEPST). That is routine over here and has been for around 20 years!

Last edited by grbrown; 01-15-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah that 61T rear pulley was a great benefit to us...i run one on my FXR ( since 1993)- nice overdrive.
pops right on there with a softail belt

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-16-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mkguitar,

1/ As I understand there is an intake muffler which closes at low motor speeds ( rpms) as well.

It open at idle, to have "harley sound" and close when you rev

2/ anyone got a pic of this in place?

system

pics in real, open valve

3/ At what rpm does it open ? is the opening affected by load, road speed or gear selection, or does it always seem to open at the same rpm ?

open by ECM, from idle to 2500 rpm

4/do you guys disable these ?

yes with SEPST or some electronics systems

5/what is the result with an aftermarket hi-flow slip on muffler ( with stock headers and valve in place) ?

it's before slip on

6/in "theory" depending on the mufflers used and the rpm/load under which the valve actuates...this could be used to enhance performance- preserve exhaust velocity and work for low rpm power and high rpm power

just for the sound and pass Euro 3

Hope it help

Attached Thumbnails Active Exhaust questions for you Riders Overseas-hd_00004.jpg  
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Mexico I know the 07 SE Ultra came with the valve in the right side exhaust pipe but not the standard Ultra. I haven't noticed it on any of the newer models.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM
rastas
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey there, I live in Australia also. I have a 2013 street glide and have gone the full Fuel Moto 2-1-2 ceramic header,jackpot mufflers,high flow a/c and power vision. The cat converter and active exhaust valve together trap even more heat in. It has been present in Oz from 2007 on Dynas and soft tails as far as I know. I had a 2007 softail custom which I put a new full exhaust on also.
On the glide I just removed the servo motor and have no codes come up, using PV map from FM.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My understanding that 2007 + export bikes have them (Active intake and exhaust controls) to comply with local noise levels which are judged at certain rpm. They have no power effects, but can be immobilized by fitting aftermarket 'trick boxes' to fool the emu to not throw a fault light. Purely there to make the bike compliant.

I was thinking of buying one, but my research leads me to question why. I run a stage one, with V&h slip ons, and a power commander, and notice no diference with them connected or disconnected.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Thank You Gentlemen for answering my questions!

Merci.

very helpful.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-23-2013 at 12:03 AM.