Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decat Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:43 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by chainsaw123
In my opinion, what you guys are doing is merely drilling a hole in the cat material. Having cut a panel out of my cat, I dont see any way at all that you have all the material out, not even close. With my panel removed, I had to chip, tear, scrap and grind ALL of the material out so that when I had the panel welded back up the surface was devoid of any little strips of the metal catalyctic material. I could imagin that leaving so much material that you would be leaving "could" possibly cause metal on metal tinny sounds as the exhaust pulses through the chamber.

Just my 2 pennies worth. Do as you want to your bikes.
no it does'nt leave anything in the pipe, just keep running the bit in and out of the pipe againest the walls and it gets it clean. you can look in there with a light and mirrior and see thats it's clean, not like you polished it but pretty clean. done this on 4 bikes, same results. i have 2 welders at home but didn't see any need. do a search on here there are many people who have drilled their cats out. i did'nt think you could drill it out at first either until i gave it a try works very well. do it anyway you like just don't breath the dust it kicks up.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey JD I have a stage 1 screaming eagle breather $ 140.00 29260-08 and a Vance & Hines Skullcap insert $ 50.00 jp cycle part #404-538 pretty nice setup and it will get ya started if ya want um I'll take $85.00 shipped,and no you won't have to get a tuner for your bike.getting rid of the cat is the best thing you can do for your motor you won't believe the difference in the heat. Good Luck

Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 PM
o-townFLA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also decatted my own head pipe and I don't think a hole saw will get all the material out either. Even with a window cut it took some effort to remove all of it...

Slip-on's and a flowing head pipe shouldn't need a fuel management system. But all bikes are different. You will enjoy less heat and more of a rumble with just the stock slip-on's.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 PM
trispeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, getting rid of the cat will do nothing for performance or heat (while you're riding). Look at it, it's below and behind your feet, how can you get ANY extra heat when riding??Air flow will move the heat back behind you, right?
I can't feel it at all (2011 FLHP) but I wear boots and long pants; if you're gonna wear flip- flops and shorts, ANY bike is gonna roast you. Just sayin' :-)

Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM
o-townFLA
Cruiser

Metal is conductive. So if the catalytic converter is doing its job by heating up to burn off unused carbons, the heat produced from the cat will travel up/down and all around the rest of the piping...

Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 PM
jay87LX
Tourer

Originally Posted by trispeed
yep, getting rid of the cat will do nothing for performance or heat
huh??

The cat in the very instance of its design and intention is to get so hot that it burns off any excess fuel not burned in the combustion process, getting rid of that material, whether by taking it out of the stock headpipe of an aftermarket hadpipe will reduce heat.

Last edited by jay87LX; 01-20-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chainsaw123
In my opinion, what you guys are doing is merely drilling a hole in the cat material. Having cut a panel out of my cat, I dont see any way at all that you have all the material out, not even close. With my panel removed, I had to chip, tear, scrap and grind ALL of the material out so that when I had the panel welded back up the surface was devoid of any little strips of the metal catalyctic material. I could imagin that leaving so much material that you would be leaving "could" possibly cause metal on metal tinny sounds as the exhaust pulses through the chamber.

Just my 2 pennies worth. Do as you want to your bikes.

Trust the ones that did it with the paddle bit. It removes everything. Until you do it you will never agree i guess. Probably even with a pic you wont agree.

Attached Thumbnails Decat Pipes-p9290450.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
trispeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jay-s
huh??

The cat in the very instance of its design and intention is to get so hot that it burns off any excess fuel not burned in the combustion process, getting rid of that material, whether by taking it out of the stock headpipe of an aftermarket hadpipe will reduce heat.
it won't help performance in any measurable way; there's no proof anywhere in the great wide world of the internet that removing the cat on a 2009+ touring bike will help performance.
Do you feel heat from the cat in your car?? How can you feel it when riding your bike, it's behind and beneath you. When you ride the airflow blows all the hot air backwards, right??

Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Airflow does blow much of the heat behind you when cruising, however passengers get some of this hot air on their right foot.

When you slow, have a tailwind, or stop the heat gets pretty down right annoying. Getting rid of the cat gets rid of most of the heat.

GF had a pretty rosie red ankle when city riding on our catted bike. She is much, much happier now.

Without the cats, I am now free'd up to add some Vied's to reduce the lean stock condition, The slightly louder pipes make the bike feel better too.

Last edited by Uncle Paul; 01-21-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69
Trust the ones that did it with the paddle bit. It removes everything. Until you do it you will never agree i guess. Probably even with a pic you wont agree.
yes until they try it they won't believe. that cat was so hot on my new bike i would leave it parked when it was hot out and ride the evo.

Quick Reply: Decat Pipes