Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a Stage 1 void any part of the warranty on 2013 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:58 PM
rivermusic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a Stage 1 void any part of the warranty on 2013 Ultra Limited

I'm getting ready to nail down the deal on a new 2013 Ultra Limited. I'm debating whether to leave it stock or have a Stage 1 (V&H power dual headers and monster round slipons, dyno jet power commander V, and SE extreme A/C kit) put on before I drive it away from the dealer.

My dealer says the Stage 1 mods won't affect the bike's warranty; not even the parts that are impacted or connected to the Stage 1 mods. I trust that for this dealership, but when I'm a thousand miles from home, will the closest Harley dealer have the same view and fix it under warranty should I have problems.

Please share any experience or thoughts on this. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
KDOT1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as Your Harley dealer does it then your warranty will not be affected .

Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Yeah they are lying to you. Any aftermarket part like like your stage 1 will void that certain area. So if you have any engine related problems with your stage 1, then they will not cover it. If you have any non related problems, wheels, abs, quality issues like paint, electrical. But if you put after market wheels and suspension and you suspension blows out then it will be void. You see where I am going here.

Your dealer will say anything to make a dollar off of you. Your best bet is to get it in writing.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

any dealer at any time can deniey coverage.for any reason they can create,if they do this then its up to u to find a remedy.by law they can only void if they can prove the aftermarket parts directly caused the problem,but if they stand strong the only thing u can do is find another dealer or take em to court.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:31 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't be afraid to ask your selling/service dealer directly.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

the Dealer cannot modify the Harley-Davidson Motor Company factory warranty.

the Dealer is a separate company- they have a license to sell products for H-D but cannot represent H-D

The Dealer may offer their own suplemental warranty coverage- get that in writing - and hope that they are in business if the bike breaks....and that the bike is not 1000 miles away if it does break...that would lead to a 2nd question for the Dealer- will they cover repairs if made by another shop in another town or State

the warranty is generally voided by screwing with the ECM- as this allows a 3rd party other than H-D to alter how the motor runs- rev limits, fuel mixtures, ignition timing may all be changed outside of the parameters that H-D deems they want to use and will warrant on a motor.
This would specifically apply to the device named above.

Some install devices on their own and remove them if going to the dealer for service, some roll the dice...and the odds are that your motor is not going to break.

Many sales guys will tell you what ever it takes to get your wallet open, but will they write it down?

( and such devices also may void extended warranties, which are not with H-D or the Dealer, but a complete other company, the exclusions should be spelled out in the contract- these contracts will vary from State to State and which company is selling the product)

pt. 2 what you are doing is '"tampering" with the emission equipment- no big deal, but you should know that any repercussions will be on you, not on the installing shop. AFAIK only Maricopa County AZ still does emissions testing on bikes- enforcement seems not to be an issue, but that could change or you could decide to move elsewhere...or ride through B.C. unlikely but the RCMP guy could be a dick..I have had "pipe questions" at the Border Idaho/BC, and on the hwy in Quebec

pt 3.a IF you lower you bike, the V&H PD's may scrape hard on right turns- the cover on the X pipe can hit hard enough to relieve traction from teh rear tire ( again on a lowered bike- stock should be fine)
pt 3.b also the clamp on the V&H crossover pipe needs to be oriented so that excess threaded rod does not hang down- a speed bump can grab it and pull the exhaust off of the bike

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-20-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are scared leave it stock...on the other hand owning a Harley is like owning a 55 Chevy...you want to work on it...I am glad Harley builds them as they do...these motors are great starting points to build the way you want or mod the way you want...or just leave it stock and ride it...simple stage one you are really helping the motor... just make sure for the 1st 2 years you let a dealer do the mods...

Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Listen to what MK says. He's spot on with all of that advice.

Suggestion...Why don't you just ride the bike for a while, break it in, get use to it, and in the mean time think through what you want to do. There is no hurry to mod a brand new bike right out the door. What's the point? You need to feel it "stock" so you can feel the differences your mods make. Otherwise you will never know the difference. You will find it has plenty of power for what you need. You can always screw with the motor, pipes, air cleaner, and tuning later.

And one more thing....dealers think you are stupid and will say whatever is necessary to get your money.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM
o-townFLA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by o-townFLA
Knowledge is power...

Magnuson Moss Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
this does not apply when the owner changes the computer control of the motor.. virtually all the parts in a "stage 1" are marked for "Off Road" or "Closed Course Competition"- the use of which will void a factory warranty for a road use vehicle*

this does not apply to a 3rd party contract warranty

this does not apply to a Dealer's verbal warranty or promise.

Mike

*My Pal had the tranny go out on his newish Benz.

Towed to dealer...they got it up on the lift and found all the grass and small shrubbery from teenage son driving it through a field...and getting stuck...and burning up the tranny.

- $$$$

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-20-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Does a Stage 1 void any part of the warranty on 2013 Ultra Limited