Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard starting 10 RG

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 PM
roadglide sy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting 10 RG

hey guy's I have a 10 rg and it starts hard sorta like it has super high compression. I don"t remember if it started after the stator went bad or not. They recharged the battery and said it was good. If I have to put a battery in it fine but want a second opinion, I had a 05 and never put a battery in it in 5 1/2 years.. Any thoughts ????. Keeping it on a battery tender doesn't help it start better but it does start everytime. Thanks Jim.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Are you starting the bike in neutral? May sound like a stupid question, but just wanted to know.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the voltage of your battery when bike is running? Should be 14+Volts. What is the voltage of the battery when trying to start it? Shouldn't drop too much.The stator going bad could have caused some issues.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by roadglide sy
hey guy's I have a 10 rg and it starts hard sorta like it has super high compression. I don"t remember if it started after the stator went bad or not. They recharged the battery and said it was good. If I have to put a battery in it fine but want a second opinion, I had a 05 and never put a battery in it in 5 1/2 years.. Any thoughts ????. Keeping it on a battery tender doesn't help it start better but it does start everytime. Thanks Jim.
Do you mean that the battery is not spinning the engine over fast enough to start quickly??
Knowing how much voltage the battery is showing after it has been fully charged would be helpful too.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
roadglide sy
Cruiser
Default Thanks guy's

I will take some voltage readings after work tomorrow, It will just engage starter and barely crank then spin over just like its on compression stroke about everytime. Also when shut off the bike after riding wih the radio on and then go back later to start the radio goes to the aux settings. Volt gauge shows ok ,no ck eng lite or low voltage lite etc. TKs again Jim

Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
roadglide sy
Cruiser
Default welllll

well, road to work today, started like it has been, hard stopped for coffee 30 mins later turned over slow but no start. tried 2 more times b4 it started. I have a new battery coming now may have to install it to get home. let see what happens . will keep u informed.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

if you aren't using a battery tender, now would be a good time to get one. i have one and got several pigtails, '13 roadglide/'08 rocket III Triumph/'06 honda big ruckus/john deere riding mower/'01 c-5 corvette. i keep my battery tender busy, but my batteries are always up where they need to be in voltage. i think they're $30 bucks at harley, and the pigtails are cheap too.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your connections. Especially the ground.
+1 on the battery tender.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 625 Likes on 453 Posts

Some bikes get a lot more time than others, but at 3 years old, your battery might be very marginal now. The battery I recently replaced showed good voltage at rest (12.6 or above) but when engaging the starter it dropped to 7.6. The new one remains above 10 volts when the starter is in use. Starts have improved greatly.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:24 PM
roadglide sy
Cruiser
Default good to go

installed the new battery and starts the way it should. I have and use a battery tender on it, I think when the stator went out it started the downhill slide. we will see tomorrow as I think i will get some riding in and try out my new MAKO LRS shield which arrived this afteroon. Thanks again all for your input................... Jim

Quick Reply: Hard starting 10 RG